Betta Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saekalive

Aquarium Advice Activist
So last night around 9:30, I cleaned my betta tank (10 gal, 1 veal tail, 1 dumbo) and I did a bit of rearranging. So I sleep the night away and I wake up and they are fine. Go to church and come home to find they have switched sides, and there is a gap big enough for them to fit through in the tank divider. Both of them look like they fought and was wondering if anything other than aquarium salt can help regrow their beautiful fins.

-Weston --Sent Via The Space Time Continuum--

Attachments

• 1431304189196.jpg
    1431304189196.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 1431304214017.jpg
    1431304214017.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 108
Skip the salt, it's not really going to make a difference. Just give them clean water (keep nitrates below 10ppm)

I would also look into a way to reinforce the divider or DIY a new one so that doesn't happen again.

I use StressCoat+ with my bettas. I rescue bettas from fin rot and fights and heal them. My newest Berta Burnie had almost no fins when I got him and his fins are nice and long. I put in 10 drops every night at 8pm after their 6pm feeding. Do this until their fins are back and then you can drop down to 5 drops and then 2, the next week, then stop. It helps grow back fins, makes the water clearer and dechlorinates the water. Here's before and after treatment on Burnie. This is a week of StressCoat+
Before:
View attachment 272075
After:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431310412.716688.jpg

Best of luck from one betta keeper to another!

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta and Ember Tetras

Considering redoing the tank and I have some plexiglass lying around so I might frost it and make a diy divider. Will definitely try the stress coat, and will plan on doing water changes.

-Weston --Sent Via The Space Time Continuum--

Also, if you have gravel, get rid of it and use soft sand. Gravel will only tear their fins more.

20g long Baby Shark tank

fighting bettas

indian almond leaves are a natural antibotic just let em sorta dissolve

indian almond leaves are a natural antibotic just let em sorta dissolve

+1 to almond leaves. They have very good tannins. Your tank will turn tea color but the bettas will LOVE it.

20g long Baby Shark tank

Also, if you have gravel, get rid of it and use soft sand. Gravel will only tear their fins more.

20g long Baby Shark tank

It has a deep white sand bottom. (OP is younger brother) weekly water changes are done. Will bump up. They rarely see each other(due to plant wall on one side of divider) which is why me and OP were wondering how they switched sides. There is a small gap they can jump behind the glass top I'll find a way to cover it up. Standing straight up there is no gap in the divider and it is buried deep in the sand.

Caleb

It has a deep white sand bottom. (OP is younger brother) weekly water changes are done. Will bump up. They rarely see each other(due to plant wall on one side of divider) which is why me and OP were wondering how they switched sides. There is a small gap they can jump behind the glass top I'll find a way to cover it up. Standing straight up there is no gap in the divider and it is buried deep in the sand.

Caleb

Good luck and I hope it doesnt happen again to you two :)

Keep in mind that bettas are fantastic jumpers. You will likely need a lid to keep them apart.

Keep in mind that bettas are fantastic jumpers. You will likely need a lid to keep them apart.

There is a lid on the tank.

To specify a glass top. The only thing is there is a space in the back of the tank for the filter heater etc and a small gap where they *could* jump. That's the only way I can think of. I think I got some extra plastic I can use to fill in the gaps.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom