Betta experts- is this a female!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinibotia

Aquarium Advice Addict
A friend of mine recently adopted a betta from a friend who is moving across the country. The person moving claimed the betta was a female. He was planning on trying to add it to his sorority tank- but when we got the fish yesterday we were pretty convinced that this fish is in fact a male. It's larger than most of the male bettas I've seen, and has the "gill beard" that I thought was distinct to males. Not to mention the fins make it look like a male veiltale, but I know that can be deceiving. It dwarfs the females in my buddy's sorority. The person giving us the fish claims to have seen the ovipositer but I can't find it. Is this, or could it be, a female?

Attachments

• 112_0161.jpg
    112_0161.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 112_0162.jpg
    112_0162.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 112_0163.jpg
    112_0163.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 87
Nope Male. Females have short fins and two horrizontal black bars

Never heard of the black bars thing, but I've read that some females can have long fins, so I was a little uncertain. Thanks :)

Females can have longER fins but not LONG fins ( if that makes sense. ;) ) like a male.
The black bars are usually seen when juveniles but tend to get hidden once the fish becomes sexually mature and colors up. (Cambodian varieties rarely show these bars either. )

One of the easiest ways to tell female bettas is after they are about 3 months old +. Look in the Anal area and you should see a white dot, almost pearl like. This is actually the first egg. Males will not have this. ;)

So barring any remarkable new twists in Bettas, the one in the picture is a male. (y)

Hope this helps (y)

Went over to my friends place yesterday and the supposed "female" had built a bubble nest.... that settled it pretty nicely.

Went over to my friends place yesterday and the supposed "female" had built a bubble nest.... that settled it pretty nicely.

More likely a male plakat if it built a nest, I've never heard of a female doing so. The nest is another tool used to attract a female.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

More likely a male plakat if it built a nest, I've never heard of a female doing so. The nest is another tool used to attract a female.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dunno if you can see the pictures but it's definitely not a plakat... or at least, I'm pretty sure it's a veiltail. It was just further confirmation that this is a male. The sad thing is, the person who gave us the fish did her entire senior project on betta fish behavior so we figured she would be able to tell the difference :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom