Betta Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I want to get a filter for my Betta. I just need to know what filter would be best. All (helpful) comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi!
Bettas are great fish with a ton of personality, and can live pretty long lives when provided with the proper care.
What size tank do you have the Betta in now? How long have you had it without a filter?

A filter would be an excellent investment, it will help out the Betta by keeping the tank much cleaner, and will help you, too, by reducing water changes. However, an important thing to keep in mind is that most Bettas are not a fan of strong water currents. So, when purchasing a filter I highly recommend you either buy one with the option to adjust the filter flow, or plan to alter the filter yourself. So, just a little more info on your part and we can help you out further!

It is a ten gallon tank. It hasn't been in there for long without a filter. I am aware of the bettas dislike of strong currents.

i would suggest any HOB filter with about 100-150gph. a good filter would be an aquaclear: Aqua Clear Power Filters by Hagen - Filters - Fish - PetSmart (i would suggest the model 150/30) , they are a little pricey but nearly industructable, i had one in an attic for 15ish years, got it out and it still works.

but i bet now you are wondering about to much filter flow, here is a simple buffer that works great in my 10 gallon betta sorority:
Step-By-Step Filter Baffle

For a 10g, go with the AC20 or AC30. I think bettas not liking current is kind of overblown. I've got bettas in a 29g with an AC70 and a 40B with an AC110. My male bettas actually like to swim into the current coming directly out of the filter just for kicks.

My male bettas actually like to swim into the current coming directly out of the filter just for kicks.

jim, idk if it is different with females but when i first got them, they couldnt STAND the current, they avoided that entire half of the tank. i really like that water bottle baffle thing though because i can put plants in front of the filter without them being blown over also. even if i didnt have bettas i would probably still have the baffle. now that i think about it though, the bettas probably hated the current because i have the 200/50 aquaclear in the tank loll. overkill.

It took a few days for my bettas to get used to the current. I actually had a male and three females in my 29g. The current didn't seem to bother any of them, even with the AC70 set to max flow.

i would suggest any HOB filter with about 100-150gph. a good filter would be an aquaclear: Aqua Clear Power Filters by Hagen - Filters - Fish - PetSmart (i would suggest the model 150/30) , they are a little pricey but nearly industructable, i had one in an attic for 15ish years, got it out and it still works.

but i bet now you are wondering about to much filter flow, here is a simple buffer that works great in my 10 gallon betta sorority:
Step-By-Step Filter Baffle
+1!
For a 10g, go with the AC20 or AC30. I think bettas not liking current is kind of overblown. I've got bettas in a 29g with an AC70 and a 40B with a AC110. My male bettas actually like to swim into the current coming directly out of the filter just for kicks.
The reason it is constantly said that Bettas don't like currents is because most do not. Because fish have different personalities, of course there will always be exceptions. But, to be on the safe side of things, it is usually best to warn that the majority of Bettas prefer calmer waters. With too strong a flow, the Betta can have difficulty swimming. Now, if yours purposely swims into the current that's different, and he's that exception.
My first Betta didn't appear to mind the filter's current, so I purchased a bubbler and he really loved it, swimming through it for fun. Then when he passed, (RIP) the 6 other Bettas that followed (not at the same time, of course) would literally sit in the corner, until I removed the bubbler and modified the filter.

Also, I would like to say to the OP that it's nice to hear about someone putting a Betta in an actually decent sized tank, rather than those dreadful bowls. Goood job :D

heck, with a ten gallon you could divide it up and fit 3 bettas in the tank!

Thank you to all of you. I have gotten some very useful info. I'll have to see what is available in the stores near me.

I realize I could fit more bettas, but I only want one.

Thats a possibility. Algae won't be hard to clean. I have a magnetic tank cleaner and plenty of time though. I don't mind extra the extra work without one.

I would get an Aquaclear, rated for a 10 gallon. You can adjust the flow, and my betta does great with it, and it's a divided 10 gallon tank.

I would look into a sponge filter as an option, it does not really increase flow and will act as a great place to add some biological filtration, as well as oxygen. The only downside is its appearance in tank.

Thank you all for your help, but the issue is resolved. I bought a filter and the Betta is ok with the current. The first thing he did when I put the filter in was swim up to it. Once again, thank you all!

They're the funniest little fish. Some will be scared half to death by the current but others love it. Allie is one of the exceptions to the Filter Fear! Lol

Glad to hear things are going well with your new fish! My 5g has officially finished cycling and I am getting a Betta tomorrow! Very exciting :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom