Betta fish and breather bags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sinibotia

Aquarium Advice Addict
Will betta fish suffocate without any access to atmospheric oxygen? How long can they survive without it? Was wondering if anyone here has experience shipping betta fish in breather bags.

The reason I ask is because I'll have betta fish at my wedding and want to have a way for people coming from far away to still be able to take a fish (after I've vetted them on their knowledge of fish care and lectured them on proper fishkeeping). I know that fish can survive in breather bags for several weeks but I worry about bettas since they breath atmospheric oxygen.

From my reading Kordon recommends fish such as "gouramis"(labarynth) fish be not shipped in full bag,but rather "less then full and then double bagged".
Lots of controversy on double bagging breathers but kordon claims only a 50% loss a breathability in double bagging.
IMO if the bag can't be full then the breather is not needed.
The full bag is so fish don't get thrown all over.With air in bag this is just a fact and not a lot anyone can do.
We have shipped fish old school along time pretty well?(popular hobby)
Most shipping issues arise due to shipper/carrier not giving a living !@#$.
I keep good relations with the owners of my LFS(top2 at least),
and you should hear the horror stories of lost shipments , boxes sitting on smoking hot runways for hours!
They both even mentioned the same airport as the worst!
That being said after vetting just tell your guest to transport respectfully and use regular bags or a Tupperware type container.
I have rambled!

Yes they will drown, in order for gas exchange to occur properly the breather bags, they need to be filled like a water balloon, which would allow no air for anabantids.

And using a breather bag like a normal bag is just a waste of a fairly expensive bag.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom