Betta fish/heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, wow. Here's a case of read the whole thread...
I thought you were talking about bettas. I must be tired.

I recently saw a Red Super Delta Betta with Flame tetras together at the FS and they looked very cool together. I'm helping a friend set up a tank with them for her daycare program. She' going to be teaching them about proper fish care. We already cycled the tank. And put the SD Betta in and I've ordered the Flame tetras for her.
If you want I can post a couple pics. of what they look like?

Yah! Pictures are always welcome! haha
This is a picture of a male and female Red Supper Delta Betta. The male is just like the one that was with the Flame tetra's in a community tank.
The second pictures are of the flame tetras. In a tank with dark gravel they looked beautiful.
The red color on a flame tetra is more like the red on the SD Betta, which is why they looked so good together. The pictures aren't a good representation of the colors. But the SD Betta's in any color are spectacular.

WendiDell, your male betta is GORGEOUS!! my husband just thought i hurt myself because of how i gasped when i saw this picture :biglol: *so* jealous!

flame tetras are also called von rio tetras (i've personally actually heard them referred to von rio more-so....or maybe it seems that way because that is what i first knew them as :) )

Lol plattys aren't that pretty though, maybe ill just get one or the other (guppy or betta). Any other nice looking fish suggestions for a 10 gallon tank, doesn't have to include the betta being in there.

For example you could do 2 sparkling gourami and 5 harlequin rasboras. Or 3 male guppies and 5 celestial pearl danios. Or 3 male guppies, 1 sparkling gourami, and 6 mosquito rasbora(or other micro rasbora).

For example you could do 2 sparkling gourami and 5 harlequin rasboras. Or 3 male guppies and 5 celestial pearl danios. Or 3 male guppies, 1 sparkling gourami, and 6 mosquito rasbora(or other micro rasbora).

I like the danios kinda, and the red mosquito rasbora. I think the guppys or the betta are still my favorite, Could i keep the danios or the rasbora with a betta? They don't have the flowing fins so probably??

If i chose to do just male guppies how many could go in a 10 gallon happily?

I'd maintain six for a while and see how things go. Guppies have a larger bio-load than most of the other fish we're discussing, so it's not an issue of overcrowding, because they mostly will stick close together anyway, but an issue of water quality. You might want to add a clean up crew like some shrimp and snails. Watch the water for a while. See if a regular weekly pwc and gravel vac keeps the water free of nitrite/ammo and keeps the nitrates ideally from exceeding 20...30 max. Let your water be the judge as to whether you can add more guppies, or if you do add more guppies if you'll need to do more water changes.

I recently saw a Red Super Delta Betta with Flame tetras together at the FS and they looked very cool together. I'm helping a friend set up a tank with them for her daycare program. She' going to be teaching them about proper fish care. We already cycled the tank. And put the SD Betta in and I've ordered the Flame tetras for her.
If you want I can post a couple pics. of what they look like?

That may work but in general it is not advised to mix bettas with flame tetra, black skirt tetra, red serpae tetra, rummy nose tetra, or xray tetra. They tend to get nippy with fish like bettas and guppies.

WendiDell, your male betta is GORGEOUS!! my husband just thought i hurt myself because of how i gasped when i saw this picture :biglol: *so* jealous!

flame tetras are also called von rio tetras (i've personally actually heard them referred to von rio more-so....or maybe it seems that way because that is what i first knew them as :) )

Thank you, he was quite a find. He's not mine though, he's in a friends tank that I'm building for her and her in-home daycare kids. They are all going to learn the right way to care for other living creatures.
Most of her kids are special needs kids that no one else wants to deal with. Like my grandson Casey, he has Aspergers Syndrome. She took care of him for 6 years, since he was 3. He's now capable of doing most things on his own, so no longer needs the extra care.
So I'm helping her help the other kids learn what I've taught Casey,
Anyway, the male Betta is the first part. He's there to capture their attention and given yours I think it may work. So really a big thank you for that.
Terribly sorry we scared your hubby. The Red Super Delta Betta like that one aren't real common. There are lots of red, but Red with the pink bodies, not so much. He was the only one they had and the only one that came in with the shipment.
Most Betta's are kept alone but he was already in a community tank with a flame tetra. But they only had 1 tetra left. We will get some as soon as more come in.

WendiDell said:

Thank you, he was quite a find. He's not mine though, he's in a friends tank that I'm building for her and her in-home daycare kids. They are all going to learn the right way to care for other living creatures.
Most of her kids are special needs kids that no one else wants to deal with. Like my grandson Casey, he has Aspergers Syndrome. She took care of him for 6 years, since he was 3. He's now capable of doing most things on his own, so no longer needs the extra care.
Anyway, the male Betta is the first part. He's there to capture their attention and given yours I think it may work. So really a big thank you for that.
Terribly sorry we scared your hubby. The Red Super Delta Betta like that one aren't real common. There are lots of red, but Red with the pink bodies, not so much. He was the only one they had and the only one that came in with the shipment.
Most Betta's are kept alone but he was already in a community tank with a flame tetra. But they only had 1 tetra left. We will get some as soon as more come in.

that is so awesome. my brother-in-law has Asperger's as well, and it's because of his attentive parents, teachers, and friends around him that he is now a highly functioning, successful adult. it's so nice to hear about those who dedicate themselves to special needs children who need someone to take the time. it's very inspiring! and pet education is such an important thing for any child. keep up the awesomeness, Wendidell!!!

that is so awesome. my brother-in-law has Asperger's as well, and it's because of his attentive parents, teachers, and friends around him that he is now a highly functioning, successful adult. it's so nice to hear about those who dedicate themselves to special needs children who need someone to take the time. it's very inspiring! and pet education is such an important thing for any child. keep up the awesomeness, Wendidell!!!

Thank you again. My grandson is everything to me and it is so wonderful to hear when someone else with AS has made it.
It helps keep me going on bad days to know it does work. Although we haven't had a bad day for a long, long time.
Except other kids being violent towards him for being different. After we spent years teaching him how to control his anger and to not physically lash out.
Anyway, many Blessings to you and your family.

Thank you for sharing this Wendi. My eldest son has Aspergers. Interestingly enough, the first tank I ever had I bought for him when he was little. :)

I second that! I don't know what I'd do without my parents role in my sons life and the staff at his school. It takes a village!

I have a 5 gallon tank with a heater set on 76 degrees. They move ALOT more if you have a heater. When i had him in a bowl i felt sorry and got him a tank. Looks so much more happier now.

I have a 5 gallon tank with a heater set on 76 degrees. They move ALOT more if you have a heater. When i had him in a bowl i felt sorry and got him a tank. Looks so much more happier now.

If you are able to up it to 80 that's even better :D

Back
Top Bottom