Betta fish: tank size and cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dark Drak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought a betta fish tonight from Pet Supermarket. I named him Tarzan :love:. He was in the worst condition possible :(. His entire cup was filled with so much waste that every time he moved it was like a snow globe. :nono: All the other bettas looked unhappy but they were in much cleaner water. This guy was swimming in tons of debris and was the happiest little thing. I know some have said it's not good to take home bettas in really dirty cups because they don't last long once home. But this guy was just so happy despite his conditions that I couldn't leave him there. He is in a 2 gallon glass bowl with clean de-chlorinated water, a heater set to 76-78 degrees, and a thermometer. He also has glass marbles for substrate and a plastic betta leaf for resting. There is a lid (with breathing holes) over the bowl so that he does not jump out and he has a light as well. He is very intelligent and active. He is acting very happy to be out of his cup. But I'm wanting to put him in a larger aquarium. I'm thinking of either buying a 5 gallon tank kit or a 10 gallon tank kit. Which one is better? And will he survive the cycling of a new aquarium? Should I keep him in the bowl while it cycles? :confused: Any help is appreciated.

Bigger is always better if you've got the room for it. Bettas don't create a ton of waste so the cycle shouldn't be too harsh. I would just keep up with water changes during cycling.

Yeah like Wolfsblood said, bigger is better, so go with the ten. As for cycling, I may be wrong here but I don't see how cycling would be any harder on a Betta than living in an uncycled, unfiltered tank. Either way the fish will be spending at least some of the time in water with measurable ammonia levels. The only difference would be the nitrites present in the second stage of cycling, but that's no worse than ammonia.

There is a benefit to putting him in the 5 or 10 gallon right away though. With more water volume it naturally takes longer for the toxins to build up so there's less toxin buildup between water changes.

I agree. Bigger is always better (as long as you have the room). Plus, you could get the betta some friends (depending on his temperment of course).

I agree...bigger is better. I have my beta in a ten gallon with a cory and (temporarily) an algae eater. He does very well and doesn't mind the other fish. But they is a case by case thing for sure. I have a Fluval AquaClear filter that lets me adjust the flow. Betas don't like a whole lot of water movement. Although my fella likes to swim under the waterfall over and over sometimes! You never know.

Back
Top Bottom