Betta food other than pellets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've read mixed information on how good dried pellets are for Bettas. They can lead to bloat and the fish can't necessarily process it well. I've read mixed things about freeze dried too.

Are frozen foods usually parasite-free?
What else can be fed?

I don't want to feed him something that may not be good for him.

He is sick. He's shown some good improvement since last night though, so I am hopeful :)

I feed mine frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, pellets and freeze dried blood worms. I have heard the thing about parasites in frozen food but I would think that freezing would kill most anything harmful. I've been feeding this combination of foods for several years and no problem so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks to you both! :)

I'd love to use fresh food, but I am wary of parasites. Frozen seems like a good alternative.

I feed mine spectrum Thera A pellets, one other type of very tiny pellet, freeze dried blood worms, occasionally, freeze dried Tubaflex. He like the blood worms best.

Edited: Ocean Nutrition Betta Pellets is the other type pellet. About 3 of these tiny ones equals 1 of the spectrum.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

I also use New Life Spectrum Thera A. The NLS betta pellets have been too large so he gets a teensy pinch of the .5 mm pellets the community tank gets.

He got a little constipated at first, he'd previously been eating Tetra betta pellets, but all is well now.

I try frozen but he just ignores it. Lol. Maybe the garlic in the NLS spoiled him for unseasoned food.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom