Betta fun!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DirgeDevil

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is a fun thing to do for those with only 1 male betta that find him boring at times...

I only have one male betta, I recently bought (or should I say rescued) from petsmart. His name is Iggy, he's Purpley with red fins.(my fav. colors) I just couldn't leave w/o him, Becides, i already had an empty tank at home. A couple of days have passed, and Iggy was getting pretty boring, so i thought I'd compare him with other bettas. I've been looking at photos online of male bettas (flaring their fins)I noticed that Iggy never did that. (later I realized why) So I got an idea. I printed out the betta pics, cut out their betta shape, and put them up to the outside of Iggy's tank, I made them "swim" around the outside. Iggy caught a glimpse of a green one, And he started flaring his fins, trying to start a fight. I've never seen him flare b4, so I got really excited. I think he likes flaring to the other "fish". This is a lot of fun, doesn't hurt him, and It gives him excitement and excercise. Plus, he's really pretty when he flares... I'm sure somebody's done this before, but it just floats my boat, so I thought I'd share it! ^_^

haha...very cool!!! i love it when my bettas flare and such, also you could just put a small mirror in front of them and they go nuts cuz the reflection is also flaring back :D

My Betta has never flared. Is the only way to get them to flare is to show them another Betta?

sometimes mine will flare at me when they know i'm going to feed them, but mostly when they see another betta

I just put both my male bettas in the same tank because I had no choice for a while, but they're not fighting each other at all they swim next to each other and everything ._. They've been like that for the past few hours and they're not even attempting to kill one another.

Puriti said:
I just put both my male bettas in the same tank because I had no choice for a while, but they're not fighting each other at all they swim next to each other and everything ._. They've been like that for the past few hours and they're not even attempting to kill one another.

Though you might think this will work out.. It wont.. you need to seperate them before you can no longer monitor them closely(like go to sleep) you will most likely have at least one dead one and one beat up one left.. its not exactly humane.. :(

@_@ i know I was going to clean the tank because he was just ...sitting there... doing nothing but I haven't gotten a chance to clean it yet ><

Are you sure one's not a female? because the instant my Iggy sees another betta he attacks! And i agree with greenmagi, just b/c they're fighting doesn't mean they never will

it really wouldnt matter if one was female.. a male betta would be after a female as well, for different reasons of course! LOL.. when breeding betta's they are only put together for a very short peroid of time with plenty of cover for the female to get away from the male.. this swimming together behavior isnt normal in any way, shape or form.. 8O

Yeah, he tries to eat her but I'm not sure if it i has something to do with my other betta being cellophane colored. Cuz Stinger will go after pretty much anything but he's payinn no attention to Phantom....

like I said in your other thread about the female showing signs of stress, you are just setting yourself up for a big mess. Geenmagi is right. Breeders separate the female from the male ASAP to prevent them from hurting/killing eachother and they never put two males together because they will fight to the death.

Back on topic though....

I've found that my male betta became extremely active when I bumped up the size of his tank. I'm trying to get my b/f to get a larger tank for his betta. He was in a bowl, now a 1 gallon tank... won't be long until he's got nice 5 gallon tank with some buddies (shrimp or ADFs). And the same thing happened with this guy though when I got him he was in pretty poor shape. Now he flares all the time (at nothing) and swims like crazy.

how big is the tank? Do you have plants? If your betta gets aggressive toward the shrimp it will need a place to hide or a separate safer tank. So think about that before any shrimp or ADFs are added.

it's a 2.5 gal with a plant and rock, but if he get's agressive ill just move the shrimp to my guppy tank.

I had ghost shrimp with my male betta and had no problems. But, YMMV beacuse I've heard some stories of how the Betta will attack the shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom