Betta hanging out in roots! Normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i don't know about hanging in the roots, but my mother-in-law has a betta in the same setup, and he's been living for 2 years, sometimes he just lays at the bottom of the bowl and litterally looks dead, ive seen him do it and thought he WAS dead. She changes the water weekely, and other than that he acts perfectly normal, i just thought it was funny that he "plays dead"

If he is actually getting stuck, then you should do something, probably remove the lilly. You could possibly replace it with other plants. But if he is only hanging out there, then there should be no problem.

Just be sure to watch for normal behavior, going up to breathe, at least some swimming, reaction to feeding (he should quickly and actively go after the food when added), and (at least for the bettas I've had) they should be "interested" in what you are doing around the bowl. Being interested almost certianly means begging for food. If he acts normal, other than floating in the roots, I'm sure he's fine. Mine usually like to hang out the floating moss I keep (java moss).

betta in peace lily vase is a form of absolute torture!!!!!!!!!
take out the peace lilly or take out the betta.
change the water every 3 days and feed the betta once a day.

I happen to respectfully disagree with you blucat. The water doesnt need to be changed everythree days, and many bettas thrive in vases like the one I have. The lily actually acts as a form of filtration. Accompanied with regular water changes it keeps the water fine for a hardy betta's needs.

http://www32.brinkster.com/magickalkittie/bettafad.html
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/bettacar1/l/blqa2061a.htm
http://honors.montana.edu/~weif/firsttank/vase.phtml

luckily your betta survives but it does not thrive.
you do realize you are letting him sit in his own filth. he can't even swim properly in such a small vase. bettas need excersize! i have to excersize my betta everyday.

before you can say anything about water test it for ammonia.
at least trim the roots every now and again.
do you feed the betta?
what happens in winter? do you at least place him under a lamp or something?

i do not mean to cause any disrespect offence or what so ever. it is just that the betta in a peace lilly vase is the most absolute form of cruelty and no fish should be subjected to that. how would you like it if you were placed in a bathtub of water in winter without any clothing or covering sitting in your waste for a week until i came and changed your water?

Yeah i guess you are right blucat. Oh well too late, he is already in his home. You stated earlier that " the betta in a peace lilly vase is the most absolute form of cruelty." If you think this is true you are not very imaginative. And if you want to come change my water everyweek, I would be happy to oblige your bathtub scenario! :wink:

hrm... i agree with blucat.. but think of it this way.. its an upgrade from those crappy lil cups anyway...

also did you get the vase for looks or because of money?? because a 10 gallon setup is about 40$

The only reason the fish is in the vase is because my girlfriend loves bettas and got a new job (it is for her desk at work). They keep the temp at 75, it holds about one gallon of water, she feeds it daily (about 5 pellets) and I make her do one pwc per week. The substrate in the vase is gravel I took from my cycled tank. It looks beautiful and other than sometimes resting in the roots, the betta is fairly active. I had one betta previously in my 55 gal but it died because I was an idiot and couldnt be patient. (cycling issues). I care for fish and am not some sadistic pet owner that likes to strap lizards to bottlerockets, I just dont think keeping a betta, by itself in one gallon of water with decent water params is cruelty. If that is cruel then so too must keeping fish in a tank be, because it cant possibly be as healthy as their natural environment. We fish people enjoy taking fish out of their natural environments and bringing them into our homes or workplaces for enjoyment. We have a duty to do the best we can in keeping them happy, but one person's conception of animal cruelty may be viewed by another as perfectly acceptable. Some people think neutering dogs is cruel, I personally don't but it is a matter of personal opinion. Opinons, as long as within reason, can not be right or wrong, (facts can be) that is what makes them opinions. So before you go dictating precedent blucat, preface it with "In my opinion."

sorry.. i dont mean to cause trouble...... yeh just my opinoion and i campltely respect you as a dedicated aquarist. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

that's okay, you were not snappy you were stating your opinion like me and yes, i agree to disagree :eek: :eek: :eek:

Back
Top Bottom