Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Betta Help

This is my first post/question and I hope to gain a better insight and learn from everyone.

I have three Betta tanks with a Betta in each.......10 gallon tanks. I have a 4 stage filter Bio/Carbon/Ammonia/Mechanical. Water is crystal clear, I vacuum the gravel once a month and change water every 10-14 days about 40%. No change in feeding routine or tank care for a year.

One of my Bettas developed a loss of appetite and started hiding in this log, thought his appearance was a bit bloated, and then suddenly went downhill and died.

What can I do better,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,???????Thank you

Old 03-30-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

How often do you feed? How much and what do you feed? By bloated, what do you mean? Scales sticking out? had he used the restroom? Whats the flow like on the tanks, are these plakat or long finned bettas? Are they Hang on the back filters?

Old 03-30-2020, 10:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragooness View Post
How often do you feed? How much and what do you feed? By bloated, what do you mean? Scales sticking out? had he used the restroom? Whats the flow like on the tanks, are these plakat or long finned bettas? Are they Hang on the back filters?
Usually once or twice a day. Bug bites and blood worms.....got away from pellets. Hang on the back filters with variable flow rates with the 4 stages I mentioned.
Long fin Betta, water changes about 3x month.
Stomach looked enlarged but no protruding scales. Behavior was what I noticed first. He had a large log that he would hide in and was hesitant to come out where prior to that would engage me just walking up to the tank. Did not see him defecate. When he ate he appeared normal. This happened so sudden. Was it food, over feeding although same frequency for a year, water chemistry?
Appreciate your thoughts
Old 03-30-2020, 10:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

My guess? Constipation. Its actually decently common. Just feed your guys half a pea each every few weeks.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No pras for Bettas, they have issues with plant protein. I think it's recommended ti feed Daphnia
Old 03-31-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

No, they do not if fed sparingly. Notice I did not say feed it often! Even wild bettas nip at plant matter occasionally! In fact they need the fiber. But... that is just my guess at what happened. Its rather common in bettas.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I tried peas with my Betta for bloat once, he wouldn't touch it. Even small pieces right in front of him. I would try daphnia instead of he won't eat the peas.

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com