Betta Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
firestar said:
Naw, Krazymom, he wasn't freaked out by the space. It's a common myth that bettas need/prefer small spaces. Fish just need some time adjusting to new environments, that's all. Rice paddies, where bettas originate, are about the size of shallow football fields!

Correct, but.....in the wild, bettas do not actually have large territories (although they do typically occupy about the same amount of space as would be taken up by an 18 gallon cube aquarium), and although they appreciate room, they probably have a limited concept of it, as the rice paddies where they are often found are somewhat murky, limiting their visibility to about 6".

Toirtis said:
firestar said:
Naw, Krazymom, he wasn't freaked out by the space. It's a common myth that bettas need/prefer small spaces. Fish just need some time adjusting to new environments, that's all. Rice paddies, where bettas originate, are about the size of shallow football fields!

Correct, but.....in the wild, bettas do not actually have large territories (although they do typically occupy about the same amount of space as would be taken up by an 18 gallon cube aquarium), and although they appreciate room, they probably have a limited concept of it, as the rice paddies where they are often found are somewhat murky, limiting their visibility to about 6".
Does that mean I am torturing my "kids in three gallons??

because the fish you have was born in captivity and you currently have him in the most water he has ever been in!

I never thought of it like that :D Of course he would be happy in 5 gallon aquarium, but right now, he probably feels like he's in a palace compared to what he came out of!

I also believe in giving bettas plenty of space. The smallest betta tank I own is a 5gal. With one male. I also have 2 ten gal tanks with 1 male in each. and a 20 gal female betta tank with 3 females(at this time). Also a 10 gallon breeding tank.

Back
Top Bottom