Betta in 3 gallon, another fish or snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharrock

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About two weeks ago I moved my Betta into a 3 gallon Eclipse acrylic tank. He has two fake plants and a combo gravel/glass bead substrate. He is quite happy in there and looks great when his light is on.

I'm starting to get some algae and have always thought a small tankmate would be great for him. Due to tank size an Oto or something similar seems like a temporary choice at best. Just not enough room really.

But what about a snail to clean up some algae and food scraps and generally hang out with Fitz (the betta)?

I know many have used small tanks like mine for Bettas and am looking for some advice and/or experience on a workable tankmate.

Thanks.

(This forum was so helpful on my hunt for my eventual bristlenose pleco.)

I would suggest two or three Amano shrimp. They eat most algae and will clean up the bottom of the tank also. They are also really interesting to watch.

Cinder said:
I would suggest two or three Amano shrimp. They eat most algae and will clean up the bottom of the tank also. They are also really interesting to watch.

I'd love a shrimp or two but will 3 gallons provide enough room? Not quite sure from the info I have read.

i think the 3 gallon tank should be big enough for them. They dont have a huge bioload. They should also be compatible with the betta i believe. Bettas arent usually as mean as commonly believed lol. Just dont keep another male with him. Or fin nippers and all should be fine. There are always those rogue bettas tho :p.
So you could add one shrimp and keep an eye on it for a day or two to see how it goes, if he acts fine you could add one more if you wanted.
Good luck.

If you just want to get rid of the algae then just do a blackout for a week or so. If you want a tankmate then I second the idea of a shrimp or snail. My daughter has a 2.5 gal betta tank in her room. We put a ramshorn snail in it. We have a game every night were we try to find him.

Hmmm.

A shrimp would be fun to watch as this little tank sits near my couch. But the snail might be a better overall fit as I could move him into my 12 gallon if necessary but don't think a shrimp would do well there in an emergency.

Still have not made up my mind though. Thanks for the input.

I have a betta in with my shrimp (cherry) and he tries to dfind them. Unless it is a big shrimp I don't think it is a good idea. I have no experience with an Amano, but I think it is a 2" max so it may be alright.

I do have snails in with my bettas, with no issues what so ever. I have brown and red rams, pond snails and multi colored brigs.

Back
Top Bottom