Betta in a Nano Cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking of setting up a 12 gal Nano cube with a betta. I know I can't put two males together, but what about a male and a female? Would I need a couple of females? I would probably put two corys in it, too. My concern is the bettas fighting. TIA!
Jim

Edit.
I just did a little research and found that I can't keep the female with the male. I wonder if they make dividers for the nano cube.

female and male mixes are usually not good. The male will not tolerate a like looking fish unless he is looking to mate.

rich311k said:
female and male mixes are usually not good. The male will not tolerate a like looking fish unless he is looking to mate.

I just edited my post and found that it wasn't a good idea. Is there a way to divide the Nano and keep two males in the tank?

It's not my strong suit either. I did manage to make a nice cover for my saltwater tank out of egg crate. Now I have a watchman goby and don't have to worry about him jumping out.

Barriers are not always good because bettas are great jumpers. In a 12 gal, you could easily house a nice harem of female bettas. In a larger tank with good cover they open up a bit and are absolutely beautiful. A group of 4 or more is usually good to keep any one fish from being picked on.

If you want to have bettas in 12 gallons I would reccommend females. If it's heavily planted (or decorated) then 5 or 6 should do well. If you do end up getting females get spawn siblings if you can as they usually get along much better than non siblings.

Such an expensive tank is not necessary to keep bettas, a 5gal heated(filter optional) tank is fine, and that will save you a few hundred dollars. Bettas are air breathers so they can survive without fancy filtration and aeration.

I already have the nano cube and a stand. I was going to set up as saltwater then changed my mind and setup a 30 gal saltwater. Then I was going to use it as a qt tank. I want to put fish in this tank that I will keep in tank and not just sick fish. I have a spare 5 gal I can use as a qt. I was thinking either a betta or some kind of dwarf fish. It is only 12 gallons.

I understand. I already have a 46 gal community tank, a 40 gal fancy goldfish tank and 30 gal saltwater tank. I just want to set up something different. I went to a friends house and they had a 5 gal setup with a betta. That is why I was looking towards a betta. Maybe fancy guppies might be a better choice.

water pond you really want a nano so bad?

you could get one at petsmart for $8.99 and then like what $12 for the hood

or even get a starter kit with everything for like $30

nah, can't even afford that. I will keep an eye out on ebay, and i think that we were talking about the nano cube with the built in filtration and lighting and everything, wern't we? Those are like $300 here(thats canadian) I want to cross over to SW if i got a nano, but i think i will stay in my comfort zome with FW and ponds for now. Tanks for the suggestions though.

4 female bettas is a good choice for a 12 gal. Some of them are just as colorful as the males, except they won't kill each other :)

You could add a few shrimp in there too. (i.e. cherry shrimp, amano shrimp, ghost shrimp)

Blazeherd2306 said:
4 female bettas is a good choice for a 12 gal. Some of them are just as colorful as the males, except they won't kill each other :)

You could add a few shrimp in there too. (i.e. cherry shrimp, amano shrimp, ghost shrimp)

I'm leaning towards that suggestion. The tank is setup but I don't want to rush it. Maybe I will come up with something different to put in the tank.

I think you'd be really happy with a harem of females. Bettas have such personality as individuals and are a riot to watch. And females are VERY affordable-check AquaBid for some beauties if you go this route--

i have a 10 gallon with 4 females and they're all lovely, just as or more colorful then my males ^__^

if you have any other questions you can check out the forum in my sig they can tell you anything you need to know ^_^

Back
Top Bottom