Betta in Semi-Aggressive community tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopefulHobbiest

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i keep reading about people adding betta's to community tanks, how does this work? i thought bettas were supposed to be kept solo or with very few other fish...

is it only certain species of betta that will tolerate this?

Bettas can b kept in community tanks when in a larger tank & preferably with middle-bottom dwellers, & as long as their are no fin nippers present

I have kept Bettas in 20G and 55G for years and they get along fine with most fish, even Angelfish. Bettas tend to stay near the top so they are usually interacting with Danios, Clouds and Gouramiis. Best not to mix them with fin nipperts like Barbs and Cichlids.

does gender or spieces play a role in all this? i was thinking of adding a betta to my 55G and i would love to get one with long or flashy fins/coloring.

the only thing that may be a problem is i have 2 angels in the 55G, while still small they are techniaclly consider ciclids(sp). although i did see the post above stating that a member has kept a betta with angels.

other than that my RS gets semi territorial and will chase but never nips, would this be a bad idea??

Edit- RS chase never lasts more than 1-2 seconds tops...

The angels might b ok with a betta & male will prob b fine & although ive never kept a betta with an RS it might b ok though u might wanna keep an eye on it at first.

thank you lol, i was hoping someone would answer that question.

i'll definitely look into the betta/RS living arrangements. i don't want to create a disater situation between my fish. my tank is in a nice peaceful order right now and i'd hate to disturb that.

so.... all of a sudden i'm thinking of scrapping this whole idea.

i'm reading other threads where people have said it's not a good idea to tempt fate. one person went as far as to say fish are not an experiment(which i agree with). so i think i'm gonna take the safe route and scrap this for now.

if i want a betta i'll buy a 10-20g just for him/her.

i do appreciate all the help and advice from everyone who commented on this thread, and i feel the need to apologize as well for wasting your time.

sorry ladies and gents

Prob smart but side note in a 10-20 gall a betta can b kept with fish such as neon or glowlight tetras & corys

i keep reading about people adding betta's to community tanks, how does this work? i thought bettas were supposed to be kept solo or with very few other fish...

is it only certain species of betta that will tolerate this?

There's really no one answer to your question. Some have had success keeping bettas with tankmates, some have failed miserably. It really depends on the personality of the individual betta. And a young betta that gets along with tankmates might not as it becomes a mature fish. So yeah, in my opinion, it's a risk.

There's really no one answer to your question. Some have had success keeping bettas with tankmates, some have failed miserably. It really depends on the personality of the individual betta. And a young betta that gets along with tankmates might not as it becomes a mature fish. So yeah, in my opinion, it's a risk.

yea thats a very valid point and i don't feel its acceptable risk.

Back
Top Bottom