Betta info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
:D So last night I bought a pair (male & female), bettas. They are each happily going through QT in seperate 2 1/2 tanks. I really don't know very much about betta behavior.

My first question is..............

When the pair is finished with QT, is it safe to put them in a 10gallon together? Do I have to watch for excessive agressiveness from the male?

TIA

For some reason, I bet bettacove somehow makes a mysterious return to the forum to answer this question.

I don't think you can house them together due to agression. I think, not sure, that they can only be combined for spawning purposes. From what I have seen, you place the fish next to eachother, or with a divider, or a few weeks so that they can see eachother and get into "the breeding mood" without being able to harm eachother. Then once the bubblenest is built, you put the female in. Right after spawning, remove her completely or she will be attacked in defense of the eggs.

Also, I don't think it is just the male you have to worry about. Depending on the individual, females can be as or more agressive than males.

Males and females can be together only for spawning, and even then, it requires a period of introduction and conditioning, and they need to be seperated afterwards.

I didn't think so, but wanted to be sure. Thanks for the replies. :D

I have to agree, I learnt the hard way 8O 8O . Even when spawning they can still try to kill each other.

Back
Top Bottom