Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Exclamation Betta into my Neon tetra 10gal tank?? / ghost shrimp clarification

I currently have a 10 gallon tank with 9 neon tetras and 1 golden algae eater.
Is it fine to add 1 betta fish into the community?
Or maybe 2 ghost shrimps?
Would the ghost shrimp eat algae wafers too?

Thanks!!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

A female betta would probably be fine, a male would not (neons will nip the longer fins).

You could have many ghost/amano shrimp (or red cherries) in there easily, as they don't add much to the bioload if anything. My neons don't bother my amanos, my betta will on occasion but after they settled in, she's mostly left them alone.

Do you have a planted tank? Shrimp prefer real plants and do best eating algae although they will eat wafers (they will get chased away from them by other fish though).

Old 01-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #3

yes, i have real plants, i have algae on my anacharis leaves and lil fuzzy black algae balls are growing on my java moss and my golden algae eater isn't eating that, you think the ghost shrimp will? would 10 ghost shrimps be too much?
Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

10 wouldn't be too many, but I don't know if you need that many, realistically. Maybe start with 5? They seem to take a while on the anacharis (lots of leaves I suppose).

My amanos go to town on algae. Handy little guys... cute too
Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #5

haha i'll check the amanos out, what do the shrimps really eat other than algae? basically particles in the water?
does the shrimp really eat off the plants; like jumping on top of the plants and eating off of it? My algae eater just sucks onto gravel/walls/filter/ just stuff that is tangible.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ghost shrimp will eat nearly anything. If there is no betta and the golden algae eater is still small they will even be bold enough to swim to the top to grab flakes away from the neons.

I doubt Ghost shrimps in a tank that receives fish foods will be found grazing for algae very often. They probably will not be picking at micro-organisms too often either.

There are a large group of shrimps that do mostly feast on algae and micro-organisms (in red, blue, striped and other varieties).
Old 02-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a male Betta in a 5 gallon with 4 ghost shrimp. Initially when I had three ghost shrimp they were shy and hid inside of the castle decoration. After a few days I added another, making four. Overnight they became settled in and are very active in the tank. They seem to prefer to feeding at the surface of the water. They provide so much action to the tank that I don't know which is more fun to watch. The Betta and ghost shrimp are coexisting rather peacefully.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The ghost shrimp in my goldfish tank have never eaten alge or diutrius. They instead manage to compete with the goldfish for fish food. It's not uncommon to find one that has caught one of the pellets and going to town on it. (One of the funny things is that I feed the pellets for the common, as he can easily eat them, but I have to include flakes for the rosy because he can not eat the pellets as they are much bigger than his mouth. But the little ghost shrimp can catch and hold on to one of these pellets and feed off of it.)

In a seperate 5 gallon tank, I have a male betta and 6 amano shrimp. I never see the shrimp because they spend all day hiding under the drift wood. If the betta ever spots one of them out from under the wood, he will chase it until it hides from the betta back in the wood or under a leave. But the betta doesn't seem to actively hunt the shrimp. Actually, the betta knows right where the shrimp are. They all hide in a knot hole in the drift wood. The hole is big enough for the betta to swim through, and every once in a while, he will swim through the hole temporaroly clearing out the shrimp. However, the 6 shrimp I started with in the tank are making a mess out of the floor of the tank. I am using white sand as a substrait, and there are brown little pellets all over the floor of the tank. I'm not sure if this is shrimp poop (which I've never seen any shrimp poop in the goldfish tank) or if the shrimp are slowly plucking the underside of my my drift wood. (The drift wood was actually something I got at the LPS from the critter section that I boiled and sank).

One other thing that seems to indicate that my betta is not interested in eating the shrimp... I keep finding the left-overs from the shrimp sheding, even after a weekend when the betta has not been fed. In the goldfish tank, these things get eaten up.

At this time, the amano shrimp are making such a mess of the tank, I'm trying to transfer some of them to the goldfish tank... but dang they are hard to catch. Spent 30 minutes the other night just to catch the 1st 2.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

i wouldnt mix the male betta and neons (bad experiences--see other posts) and ive never tried a female. However my betta gets along really well with the ghost shrimp...i never have problems with that combination
Old 03-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Haha

I have a male betta and some ghost shrimp in a 10 gal tank. They do really well together even though i was pretty sure my betta wouldnt like them because he has flared his gills and such at me lol. They seem all good together they ghost shrimp are very active and will swim with my betta. It is funny though because one of my ghost shrimp GISS(G.I.Spec op.Shrimp) gets freaked out when my betta swims next to him, he like flinches from him it funny
Old 03-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've seen that flinch and jump reaction when my betta gets too close my ghosts. It's almost as if you can hear the ghost srimp yell, "holy $h!t"
Old 03-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's a great article about tank mates for Bettas from another forum I belong to that's focus is on Bettas...
Betta Tankmates - UltimateBettas

That being said, I have one of my Bettas with two male Platies and two Otos. Platies are suppose to be a no no with Bettas. Mine get along fine though I don't think I'd ever put my other Betta in with them. Two totally different personalities.

Tags
10 gallon, betta, ghost, ghost shrimp, neon, neon tetra, rim, shrimp, tan, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com