Betta is not very active?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok about 2-3 weeks ago I got a veiltail betta for my 2.5 gallon tank. For like the first 2 weeks he was really active and he would stop swimming from side to side. Lately he stopped doing that and would just swim around the bottom and go up to the top sometimes. Yesterday night I caught him sitting motionless on the bottom, but when I tapped the glass, he moved again.

The tank is filtered, and. The light puts off a lot of heat but I am getting a heater for it anyway.

Why is he so inactive? Is he bored?

I do weekly water changes but its impossible to do it with a siphon for a tank that small and filled with plants, so I use this eye dropper thing (don't worry it was made for the usage of fish tanks)

Was the tank cycled? How large are the water changes you are doing?

It sounds like it's a water quality issue. Even if your weekly change is larger I don't think it would be enough. I'd bump it up to twice a week and about 40%. IF you can upgrade him in the future it would make your life a lot easier and I'm sure Mr Betta would appreciate it as well. Maintaining water quality in 2.5 gallons is just hard.

Have you got a liquid testing kit to test Ammonia,nitrite,nitrate and pH?

If so what are the water parameters of the 2.5g tank?

This could indicate a problem.

Also how often and what are you feeding?

Jon

Everyone, the tank was cycled! Before I got the betta, the tank was used for fry for nearly a month. Beneficial bacteria has already been established in that tank for at least 3 weeks before I got the betta, I presume

And yes he may move to my 10 gallon once I get my 40 gallon for christmas

He may just be settled in & it is possible with a tank that size it hasn't fully cycled as another poster stated its difficult at best to keep good water parameters on that small of a volume of water. Also, some Bettas don't take the flow of a filter very well & with a small volume of water the current will be stronger. Mine are more active at times than others so he may just be going through a lazy phase. I would suggest testing the water with a liquid water test to make sure the water parameters are safe.

As said above, check the temp; an in-tank thermometer is best to see what the temp is. If it's too cold (bettas like it warm, 78-80) that could be an issue. Also get a test kit and test the water; there's no way to know for sure whether the tank is cycled and what the water quality is without one. If he's suffering from toxins (ammonia, etc) that could be another reason he isn't active. Also check the flow from the filter; if it's too high (e.g. plants blowing around, lots of rippling at the surface) that could be another issue as bettas like calmer water.

He's looking fine now. I did a water change and im looking for a good heater

I think he just got tired of swimming back in forth in the back and now he's starting to be aware of his surroundings because he's actually exploring the tank instead of rubbing his head against the glass

Bobjoefredsky said:
I think he just got tired of swimming back in forth in the back and now he's starting to be aware of his surroundings because he's actually exploring the tank instead of rubbing his head against the glass

Good to hear. Sometimes at first they go a little spastic but usually will settle down, usually. :)

Thanks everyone. I will be getting a tester kit the next time I go on a petco "spree"

Back
Top Bottom