Betta Mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vatilla

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have one single male Betta in a 10g tank with a filter and heater, along with numerous plants and setups. I would really love to get him some tank mates without buying a new tank for these reasons:

1. I recently had tadpoles, and he spent his days watching them swim around, but I set them free and now he doesn't seem as active as before.

2. I heard that even though Betta are vicious, they do like to have friends.

3. I feel as if there should be more than one fish in this tank, I hadn't intended on such a large tank for just him, but this is how it played out.

If you have any fish suggestions, please, please, please give me a more detailed description of why you think they'd be acceptable, as I actually want them to live. I know that most of you will say "There's no fish that Betta's get along with", but I want to give it a shot because I've heard success stories from numerous people. Also, I'm looking for fish, not shrimp or African Dwarf Frogs... I previously owned a pair, and one ate the other, then the other got sick and died, so I don't want contagious diseases from them going to the fish or the fish to the frog. :fish2:

:thanks:

In my opinion, bettas are a solitary species and prefer to be kept that way. I've heard too many horror stories of people trying bettas with other fish, or with snails, or with shrimp and someone always dies or gets ripped to shreds.

I just don't think it's worth the risk.

In my opinion, bettas are a solitary species and prefer to be kept that way. I've heard too many horror stories of people trying bettas with other fish, or with snails, or what shrimp and someone always dies or gets ripped to shreds.

I just don't think it's worth the risk.

Thanks... I know most people say that, but I feel as if I should give it a shot, you know? Every Betta is different all that jazz, I suppose.

As long as you have a cycled back-up tank if/when the arrangement doesn't work. You want to steer clear of any fish with flowing fins. I wouldn't do snails, they eat the antennas off, small shrimp species would be eaten.

There are a bazillion threads on here of what people keep with bettas. You might want to just do a search through the betta section (if there is one).

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the personality of your individual betta.

As long as you have a cycled back-up tank if/when the arrangement doesn't work. You want to steer clear of any fish with flowing fins. I wouldn't do snails, they eat the antennas off, small shrimp species would be eaten.

There are a bazillion threads on here of what people keep with bettas. You might want to just do a search through the betta section (if there is one).

At the end of the day, it all comes down to the personality of your individual betta.

Thanks very much! I'll start searching through things, see what people say on other links :thanks:

I have had a Betta with bigger fish than him. Schooling fish would be good if they have lots of cover to hide and break up line of sight

I have had a Betta with bigger fish than him. Schooling fish would be good if they have lots of cover to hide and break up line of sight

What kind of fish would you suggest that would fit in a 10g tank? And my tank is covered in plastic plants, as they help to slow the filter a little bit. But that's another issue- I'm looking for fish that won't easily get sucked up against a filter.

I have a male betta in a 5g with a mystery snail. Both are thriving!

I also have a divided 10g with a female on one side and a male on the other. In each side there are 2 African dwarf frogs. The biggest issue I have here, the betta get to the frogs food before they do.

Cories- bottom dwellers
Dwarf loaches
Otos
Neon/cardinal tetras in a school- colorful but super fast so they could escape and attack

Cories- bottom dwellers
Dwarf loaches
Otos
Neon/cardinal tetras in a school- colorful but super fast so they could escape and attack

Thanks so much! Can Dwarf Loaches and Otos get along well, or would it be one or the other? :ROFLMAO:

I had my betts in my community tank & never had a problem but I had to move him cause I got a gourami. But he got along with my mollies, platies, and adf:) they can get along with others depending on thier personality.

I had my betts in my community tank & never had a problem but I had to move him cause I got a gourami. But he got along with my mollies, platies, and adf:) they can get along with others depending on thier personality.

He has such a friendly demeanor, he always swims by me and takes a great interest in my cat. I'm considering getting either Tetras or platies so far :D Thanks so much, I'll be heading to the pet store probably this weekend!

:thanks: :fish1:

I always have Bettas in my community tanks never had them bother anyone maybe like a small tetra he might bully but even then mines never been malicious or anything right now I have him with 2 angels (decent sized angels) a school of glo lite tetras panda catfish Cory catfish and albino catfish but he's lived with lots of other fish with no problems in my experience Bettas are only aggressive towards other Bettas

Platys need a larger tank.

You can keep otos and dwarf corys together but there wouldn't be enough room in a 10 gallon. They both require groups.

The only tetras that "might" work would be embers or neons.

I have mine in with cories and a bunch of snails. I also have ghost shrimp in there and he does fine with them!! I would just watch putting something that will be swimming around him often. That's why I like the cories bc they are primarily on the bottom. Sometime my guy swims(schools;)) with them. He has never tried anything "fishy";) he did take out a ghost shrimp at first but after that one time he never bothered them... Good luck and let us know what you get:)

A school of ember tetras, neon tetras, chilli rasboras, harlequin rasboras, male endlers or one of the small cory varieties would work IMO. You could try shrimp if there is enough cover. Snails also make great betta tank mates. I had 14 Bettas at one stage (lost 5 to a stupid stupid mistake) and all but 3 shared their tanks with tank mates. The three without tank mates shared a tank with dividers and I still didn't have an issue. You might get a really nasty betta occasionally but IME the majority put up or even enjoy (suitable) tank mates.

My son has Pygmy Cories with his Betta in that size tank. They're all happy campers.

I have a 5 gal with a betta and six Kellifish in it and again, everyone is happy.

I always have Bettas in my community tanks never had them bother anyone maybe like a small tetra he might bully but even then mines never been malicious or anything right now I have him with 2 angels (decent sized angels) a school of glo lite tetras panda catfish Cory catfish and albino catfish but he's lived with lots of other fish with no problems in my experience Bettas are only aggressive towards other Bettas

Thanks so much for the information!

Platys need a larger tank.

You can keep otos and dwarf corys together but there wouldn't be enough room in a 10 gallon. They both require groups.

The only tetras that "might" work would be embers or neons.

Okay. I think neon tetras or dwarf cories, then.

Back
Top Bottom