Betta or Guppy for 5 gallon with white clouds.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I was wondering if I should get a male guppy or a betta for a 5 gallon nano, thanks.

Personally, I wouldn't put a Betta in there. I recently tried keeping a male Betta with some Cories and Tetras and they did not like each other one bit! At first the Tetras chased the Betta around, but the next day the tables were turned and the Betta was harrassing the Tetras nonstop. This was my first attempt at keeping a Betta let alone with tankmates so take my advice for what you feel it's worth. :)

- Mandy

You could do either a guppy or a betta just do not mix the two. A betta in a 5 gallon with some nice plants makes a nice display.

The reason why I was caught between the two was because I like the personalities of bettas and their beautiful finnage and colors. However, what I don't like is that I have never had a betta for more than like four months. On the other hand, I like the fact that guppies (males) are usually colorful and I have kept them alive longer than I had bettas, however, guppies don't have a labrinyth (however you spell it) organ or whatever so they may not be able to tolerate an environment with not a good supply of oxygen and whatever, also, guppies are usually pretty dull anyways. Another thing that is good about the guppies is that they won't hurt the white clouds and are very compatible. Even though my nano is going to be quite planted and there are hiding places in the plants, some bettas are really territorial and some aren't so its really hard to tell. I was thinking though, that since white clouds are really fast they would be able to dodge the betta and hide since bettas are usually slower swimmers and don't have that much stamina. I am still open for any other suggestions. Thanks to those who already posted and who are about to post.

lol yeah tetras can be little umm well i cant say those words on these forums

the betta + white clouds is something im putting together right now.

i have another 5g with 4 guppies and 3 cories and some shrimp and a otto its acrylic so i have to use gravel but thats the one ima plant cause its got a 15 watt floro

but my betta tank is sand and ima use fake plants and some white clouds.
bettas are pretty much a case by case basis. my betta will annoy fish but not attack them , in fact he wont touch them he just kinda looks at them really close till they do something. its like hes interested.

but white clouds should be small enuff to not seem to be a threat.

all in all i think we will both see

It might work, you will have to watch the white clouds and see if they are harrassed too much. Almost every betta I've had is viscious and attacks everything else in the tank.

I dunno what to choose. They are both great. Personality or longivity? I will make a poll.

Like I said you could try it, the betta and the white clouds would make a gorgeous contrast IMO. But you would have to have a place to put either the betta or the white clouds if it didn't work out.

Yeah, what bothers me is that I have had fish for many years now and I can't keep a betta of all fish alive for more than four months, while my novice friends who do water changes like every 3 months have been able to keep their bettas alive for many years now.

one betta was my start in this hobby and i didnt know anything and only did water changes when it was dirty or everyone month and I did 100% water change and the betta loved me would even recognize me when i would come to around and then feed him.

unknown_7 said:
Yeah, what bothers me is that I have had fish for many years now and I can't keep a betta of all fish alive for more than four months, while my novice friends who do water changes like every 3 months have been able to keep their bettas alive for many years now.

you know ive heard like 10 people say this

maybe theres room to do some research and i know ima get flamed because everyone online is allways right and just saying put some research into it people will assume im attacking the idea of cleaning the water

but hey if a betta will live 4 years in crappy water and only a month in a filtered cycled heated and planted tank then maybe we dont know as much as we think we know.

Back
Top Bottom