Betta Owners it's Time to Show Off...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Menagerie

Aquarium Advice Addict
the little area/habitat in your tanks, especially in community tanks, for your bettas. It would be nice to have them all in one thread.
Recently, I added a beautiful red female betta to my 50 gal community tank and she is hiding behind the heater :(
I understand there are ways to take shower or soap racks and magically convert them into betta hide-a-ways. Being a visual person, I would love to see some pics!
An t-iasg, I know you posted pics with suction cups and java fern, can you post them again?

TIA everyone!

Here's the 10 gal with my betta (an oto, but he's always hiding). The betta likes to go in the deco with the airstone sometimes. He likes the bubbles.

hey ant. are those 10 gallons or 5. from the height i think their 10's but id think that 200 lbs on a counter would be a bit much.

and can you explain again how you keep the java moss there?

krap101 said:
hey ant. are those 10 gallons or 5. from the height i think their 10's but id think that 200 lbs on a counter would be a bit much.

and can you explain again how you keep the java moss there?

200# on a counter isn't much. I know for a fact that they can hold multiple people.

Yeah, counters are usually stronger than you might think. I'm guessing that counter could hold a 55 gallon if you tried it.

I forgot to say what size tanks -- they are 5.5 gallon tanks. I did bring a 10 gallon tank home to see if it would fit there, and it did fit under the cabinets, but there was no room to lift the glass hinged lid, or get my hand in there for cleaning. So I went with two 5.5 gallon tanks, and they work out well in that corner of the counter.

Here are some shots of my divided 15 gal betta tank.
The lower shot is of Moe's 5 gal compartment. He has a clump of java moss in front of the sponge filter. It's attached to a suction cup with a plastic electrician's zip tie. I have a gravel-encrusted PVC pipe on the bottom for the three corys to hang out in - I got this idea in the DIY forum.

The upper shot is Curly's compartment. He also has a clump of java moss. This is one of my favorite pics. I used a suction cup to attach a small piece of wood to the outside of the tank and put one of my mice (Tamerind, I think) on it. Curley immediately swam over and started flaring his gills at the mouse. The mouse was eyeing the betta curiously and the betta went absolutely nuts anytime Tamerind flicked his tail - he must have thought it was a worm! :D

Taken straight from the "Gourmet Housecat Cookbook"...."always try to obtain the freshest gerbils possible. Select gerbils based on size and appearance, mindful of the fact that the small ones may not yet be ripe. When selecting gerbils, choose ones that are plump and heavy for their size. Avoid shriveled gerbils or ones that rattle when shaken. Remember, fresh gerbils float while stale gerbils sink." :p :lol: :twisted:

What does any of this have to do with bettas and java moss, anyway? How did we get here?
Oh, yeah - it's all my fault for mixing mice and bettas! :lol:

Oh, yeah - it's all my fault for mixing mice and bettas!
Oh YEAH!!!
Bettas and there hide-a-ways.
Now, I really need help. My little red female was hiding behind the filter and I didn't see her much. Last time I went to the LFS, another female betta jumped in my basket. Last night I knowticed the newer one had frayed fins. When I fed everyone this evening the red female came out and she has torn fins. I do not believe they were fighting, I believe they were getting picked on my my tetras. We'll soon find out--I moved both of them to QT.
Now what?? I cannot start another tank!!

ROFL at QTOFFER's post! :lol: :lol:

Menagerie, I have seen a group of tetras (cardinals or neons) ganging up on a male betta. This was at the hatchery I go to; the owner has male bettas in various tanks. The owner then moved the betta to a tank of small cories. I wouldn't think the tetras would go after a female betta since her finnage isn't so flashy, but who knows...they sure went after the male betta.

And thanks, fearlessfisch! :)

It looks like my females were going after each other :( Now one is in a jar in the QT tank and the other is in the QT tank. I need to get a tank divider.

Back
Top Bottom