betta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

water12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all I have a question regarding my new betta. Yesterday I added 2 male bettas to my 15 gallon with a tank divider and ever since one has stuck to the far top right corner hiding at the surface. If I move anywhere near that part of the tank he freaks out and will swim sporatically around his side of the tank sometimes running into things. My other betta seems to be doing a lot better, he is shy at first but then will swim out and check things out, he doesn't freak out if I move. Could the other one just be too stressed with the other one next to it or will it take it more time for it to adjust? I'm worried that he's too aggressive and is stressing himself out, but I really don't want to return him to my lfs, he really is a beautiful betta. Also what is the max temp bettas can handle? My ac doesn't work the best so its usually always just about 84 degrees in the room I have them in. Any advice and quick responses would be GREATLY appreciated!!

ForumRunner_20120829_202249.jpg

My tank (the floating things are plastic ice cubes to bring down the water temp)

ForumRunner_20120829_202339.jpg
The calm one, I have not seen him display any aggression when he watches the other betta, he just looks and swims away

ForumRunner_20120829_202413.jpg

The betta that is hiding. He flares a lot at the red betta

I kept two bettas in a divided tank (granted it was only a five gallon) and it didn't work well. Twice one of the bettas accidently got to the other side and nearly killed each other. Plus, the dividers don't block view, so they are constantly stressed out from seeing each other. One of them got sick and died from the stress, and the other died a few weeks after. If I were you, I'd return one of them and just give the other the whole tank. I find it more pleasing anyway than looking at the divider in the middle.

Is your tank cycled? Bettas prefer temps in the low 80s, so you should be fine.

Yeah my tank is cycled. My divider goes an inch above the water line so unless one is really determined I can't see them jumping it. I'm just so torn as to which one I should keep!! I always wanted a white betta so I love the white and blue one, but he hides the moment I enter the room. I like the other too how the white on its head fades to red and has a tie dye effect with a little blue on the fin, he seems more relaxed and swims at the front to greet me. The white one will swim out along the glass for a minute if I've been still for a while but the second I move he darts to his corner :(

Try moving those tall "plants" over to the divider so they block the view to the other side. Turning off the lights for a day or so will help the fish get adjusted, Bettas don't like strong light. You might also look for a couple more "plants", something with a broad leaf, Bettas like to lay on things like a hammock. A cave or hollow log, so they can hide and feel safe, may also help.

Alright I just moved the plants to block their line of sight. The white one isn't too happy now because he can't hide where he was. It didn't seem to faze the other one at all though. I'll leave the light off all day tomorrow and see if he gets a bit comfortable. I won't really be able to see them until Friday because I have classes all day tomorrow and then dont get back from work until 11 at night. By Friday I'll make a decision on which to keep if things don't improve. The white one will stay if he doesn't hide the second I move, but if continues to show stress then the red one will stay since he's more calm....I don't like these tough decisions!!! :(

Yeah moving plants may help. I have seen people use a black divider before sold at lfs but i'm not sure how it works. Your betta can also be stressed due to the new enviroment. I will try changing the enviroment and see how that works first. Hope this really helps any

Ha I wish I could afford to set up a new tank! Even the small ones out there would push my budget, is have to wait and see after I pay bills here in a week. The white one is swimming about a bit more, he stayed at the front until I got too close, then he darted to his corner...but its progress for him!

Well good news, the white and blue betta is starting to act more relaxed! He will continue to do his thing if I walk into my bedroom and only panics if I make any sudden movements within a couple feet of the tank :) I'm going to take this as a good sign a keep him, but I do feel bad returning the other one :-( unfortunately I don't have the funds for a whole other setup for him :-/ but I think I'll name my white and blue Houdini since the first couple days I had him he managed to disappear pretty darn fast lol also I think I might turn my background around to black so that he will stand out better, what do you guys think?

Well I returned the other betta this morning and Houdini is enjoying his new home :) in exchange for the divider I bought some more silk plants and a betta leaf hammock. The tank lights have been out for a couple hours now and the room was dark so I caught him sleeping. He was using the hammock!! Here's an updated pic of the tank and I tried to get a good pic of Houdini but he's still camera shy lol

ForumRunner_20120901_004129.jpg

You can see him darting behind the double head statue

ForumRunner_20120901_004055.jpg

Back
Top Bottom