Betta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a female betta who has never been all that interested in food. I don't know why, as I feed in the same spot every day and she slurps it right up when she finds it, but she doesn't come racing over or even gently swimming over when I put in the food. Anything to be concerned about, or is it just her?

image-85506132.jpg

Sorry about the horrible photo.

Could be the temperature, the water quality, her appetite, she might be sick.
Alot of factors to watch

She has perfect water quality(checked the numbers recently but only remember that they were perfect), a diet of Omega One Flakes, a heavily planted five gallon with a filter, and water heated to 76.

She has perfect water quality(checked the numbers recently but only remember that they were perfect), a diet of Omega One Flakes, a heavily planted five gallon with a filter, and water heated to 76.
Maybe you should try and feed her something else. That might help. I don't know if they eat vegetables or fruit, but it could be a go if it works.

Try raising the temp to 78. I keep my Bettas at almost 80 and they are voracious eaters. I also rotate New Life Spectrum betta pellets, HIkari betta pellets and Omega One flakes. I give an occasional blood worm as well. I think Bettas will take peas but I have not tried it.

My Betta likes his water at 80 or his fins react poorly. Maybe she just has a slower metabolism and the warmth might help?

Try feeding every other day. I fed mine everyday and felt like they were being too relaxed about getting food and that some weren't getting any. So I switched to every other day. Now they follow me as i pass their tank and will gather like mad in front of my hand if I put it up to the glass. I call doing that "God-mode". But now they are like hungry pirana at feedings.

I agree 80 is the ideal but won't a sudden 4 degree rise shock the fish? That's why I suggested to go to 78 first.

I agree with what others have said. Feeding every other day is a good idea for bettas as they get plugged up pretty easily. I would also try some bloodworms.

Thanks everyone! I treat with bloodworms occasionally. Unfortunately, my heater is a preset that is set to 78 but it is relatively cold in the house in winter so the water cools down a couple of degrees. She's definitely not sick as she is super active, constantly swimming around. She just doesn't seem that eager to find the food. Once she does find it she eats it in a couple of seconds. But she just doesn't find the food or seem eager when I go to the tank. I feed one flake a day and a couple bloodworms every Saturday. Her tank is really heavily planted with lots of driftwood and a huge bushy plant that has taken over the tank along with a couple other plants. She has a filter with a very very low output(when I feed her, I put the flakes in the flow and they barely move). Warmth may be the problem but I can't do much about it. I don't want to get a new heater because as soon as spring and summer rolls around it will be useless as it gets warmer in the house and all water in my tanks warms up to around 80.

Back
Top Bottom