Betta question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbjrc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi, I have a betta and was wondering what fish I can put in with it that won't cause any problems with. Thanks

i hate to be a pain but what size tank do you have?

no fin nippers, that includes barbs and some tetras

and of course no other bettas...lol

danios, cory's, most bottom feeders, hatchet fish..i cant think of any others

chime on people :D

The tank is a 5 gallon tank so i know I wont be able to put much in it. I was just wondering what my possibilities are. Thanks for the quick response

As mr86mister says, no other bettas, tetras, barbs, or danios -- danios are fast swimmers and they need a bigger tank anyway. No guppies -- they are brightly colored like the betta, and the betta may think the guppy is another betta and attack.

Actually, in a 5 gallon tank, I wouldn't recommend any other fish. Cories may be ok with a betta, but they need to be kept in groups of 3 or more and you won't have enough room in the 5 gallon tank. I have two bettas, each in their own 5 gallon tank. This tank is the right size just for one betta. If you put more fish, in addition to the one betta, in this tank, you will most likely overcrowd the bioload of the tank, and cause aggession among the fish because they will not have enough space for their own territories.

The only other possibility I can recommend is some ghost shrimp. Some bettas will get along with the shrimp, and some may eat the shrimp. It's probably a 50-50 chance, but you can try. I had some shrimp with my bettas once. One betta was very curious and didn't eat the shrimp, but wouldn't leave it alone. It died after about a week. The other betta totally ignored the shrimp in his tank.

I second the ghost shrimp idea. Maybe a snail too. Bettas are the only fish I would put in a 5 gallon tank.

An ADF might work too.

yeah i think an ADF would work fine, but they need special care and their own food

so if you want just a simple 5, a beautiful Betta and Ghost Shrimp would do great!

glad i could be of help :D

If you were willing to spend 10 bucks for a 10 gallon (at most wal-marts anyway), then you could get around 3 corydoras and not have any problems.

I always loved this combo! :wink:

I'd say you could put a couple otocinlus in there with the betta, but only if there's a bit of algae growing ot keep them fed.
otherwise a small shrimp would work. cherry shrimp add a nice red splash of color without becoming the focal point of the tank.

I second the upgrade to a 10gal :)
Otherwise you really are pretty much limited to a lone male Betta, with perhaps the mentioned shrimp.

I put in African Dwarf Frogs in w/ my Betta and the frogs started to munch on my Betta's fins and tail. I don't advise putting frogs in w/ them.

Back
Top Bottom