Betta Question - Your Opinions Wanted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sara

Aquarium Advice Freak
If anyone remembers, a few weeks ago we brought home a new half-moon betta, but because he was sort of an impulse buy, we didn't have a tank set up and ready to go.

So, for the past three or so weeks, our little betta has been living in less than ideal conditions - a half-litre container and getting huge nightly water changes (with water from our established 10 gallon). The water conditions are not great at all, and he's not too thrilled. His colour has been fading a bit, and he's not as active as he used to be.

The 5.5 gallon that he'll be moving to is cycling, with current levels @ ammonia= .75, nitrites= .1, nitrates= less than 5.

My question is this - is it better for the betta to remain in the container until the tank is cycled, or to put him in the tank while it's cycling and just keep a closer eye on the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels? I know that ordinarily, fishless cycling would be the way to go...but he's already pretty miserable in his little half-litre home, so I'm not sure what the best option is for him to make him the most comfortable.

TIA!

Maybe you could put him in a breeder net in your ten gallon? I know how you feel about betta impulse buys. I go in the petstore for plants, and come out with a betta or two. :wink: I now have 7 bettas, in bowls sadly, and Im trying to figure out something better. The 5 gal I had for one is full of molly babies (hint hint free to anyone, in a few weeks when they get bigger) Maybe in a week or so your betta could go in the 5.5 gal.

I would keep him where he is, but do daily water changes with dechlorinated and aged tap water, rather than water from another tank (assuming there are no problems with your tap water). That way you know it is free of nitrates that might be present in the 10gal.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Hopefully he won't have to stay in his little container too much longer :S

You should just put filter material from an established tank into the 5.5 filter and fill it with water from another tank, nearly instant cycle.

You could always keep your betta in the 5.5 and do weekly 100% water changes. At least thats what I do with my betta. And I always keep lots of java-moss in my betta tank. It keeps the ammonia and nitrites down in between water changes.

I would leave the betta where he is, in the half-litre, and do as TankGirl suggested -- daily water changes. I think moving him to the 10 gal temporarily, and then another move to the 5.5 gallon, would be stressful. Hopefully the 5.5 gallon will be done cycling soon. I think doing 100% water changes in the 5.5 gallon would be inconvenient -- that's a lot of water! JMO, though. BTW, your betta will love it in the 5.5 gallon when it's ready. My bettas do very well in their 5.5 gallon tanks. I do agree with the java moss suggestion -- I have some java moss in the tanks, and my nitrate has been 0 ever since I got the moss!

i like the idea of putting him in the 10 gallon or a breeding net in the 10 gallon. id be scared if trying to fit into a 1/2 liter tank :p

Back
Top Bottom