Betta Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now I have a 10 gallon tank filled up to 3 and 1/2 inches for the Betta to spawn in. I have some plants in there and it's been like that for about 2 weeks. Beside the heater and something to support the bubble nest, what else do I need to do? Also do I need to change the water? I keep my betta's in 1/2 gal jar and and 1 gal jar. (Only large ones I can find) I think both of my betta's are starting to like me. Everytime I get close to them they swim up to the top and wait for me to feed them. They are also starting to flare at me. The male built a huge bubble nest. Almost covered the surface. The female builds small bubble nest sometimes. I feed them bloodworms and brine shrimp, thinking about staying on bloodworms since the brie shrimp doesn't seem to appeal to the betta's as much.

I would fill it up to about 5inches.
That sounds like a good setup, so don't really need to add anything else. Are the plants live or fake?
You wont need to change the water for about a week (some ppl say 2) after the eggs hatch.

Are you useing frozen, freeze dried or live bloodworms to condition them? Its best to feed a variety of foods, live or frozen, to get a good spawn. Best to not feed brine shrimp.

more info: http://www.geocities.com/betta_cove/breeding.html

good luck with your spawn!
ashley

please don't put them back in the 1/2 and 1 gallon jars when you're done breeding. no animal or fish should be imprisoned like that. 5 gallon tank minimum for ANY fish.

There is nothing wrong with a 1/2 gal-1gal jars, as long as they are changed regularly (like everyday or every other day). Yes bigger tanks are easier to maintain, but as long as you do regualr water changes then bettas will be fine. I keep most of my breeders in 1/2gal containers and they are as healthy and happy as can be.

ashley

malkore said:
please don't put them back in the 1/2 and 1 gallon jars when you're done breeding. no animal or fish should be imprisoned like that. 5 gallon tank minimum for ANY fish.

Scientific studies have been done on Betta's ...they prefer small contatiners to a larger tank.

Interesting PK: can you link some of those studies? I find it sort of surprising considering wild bettas spend much time in large areas of water (like rice paddies) and are only contained in small puddles during the dry season.

That all being said, bettas are built to handle small spaces (ie: those aforementioned puddles, 1g tanks), and are the only fish IMHO which can handle a tank smaller then 10g without detrimental effect.

I agree with malkore.
rxblade and bettacove,
How would you like to be shoved into the kiddy pool and be kept there the rest of your life?
It just seems inhumane.

Yes but when you have 50+ bettas its very hard to keep them all in 5gal tanks. Bettas can and will thrive in smaller containers IF givin proper care, ie water changes everyday and live and frozen foods. But if you only have 1 betta just for a pet then yes a bigger tank is better. It would be inhumane if the water was rarley changed and he/she was only feed flakes or some kinda pellets ect.

I have never heard of any studies being done were the results were that they prefer smaller tanks.... I guy at a LFS told me once that bettas can't be kept in large containers because they will get fin rot :roll:

ashley

I have both of my bettas in 2.5 gal mini bows and i do a weekly 25% water change and they are both thriving.

bettacove said:
I guy at a LFS told me once that bettas can't be kept in large containers because they will get fin rot

not true have you ever seen a betta in a large tank?!? they are so much more active and just look happier...

i can understand breeders keeping bettas in smaller containers but that doesnt mean their whole lives..

no animal should be kept in a space that small.. the only reason they can be kept there is because they have the ability to breathe air from the surface ( i think they get like 75% of their oxygen that way) and therefore they dont necessarily need a large place to do that in.. but its still like being stuck in a bathroom your whole life--not fun...

I didn't say that was true, i said someone told me that. Hence the :roll:
So what your saying is, that its ok for breeders to keep them in small containers for a while but then they need a big tank? That still leaves me with the problem of needing 50+ 5gal tanks! LOL, no I know what you mean! And I would love to keep all my bettas in big tanks but i just don't have the money or space.

The organ that they use to "breath" is called a labryinth

ashley

yeah i know what you meant by the statement :D i was just meaning that the person who told you was wrong...

yeah i could definately see your prob about then needing a ton of 5 gal tanks... for a breeder its easier to keep them in smaller bowls since they have to be kept seperate from each other...

my point is for people who own bettas as pets (not to breed tho) that they need at least a 5 gal.. :D

In my massive research when we began this journey, we went with a Betta for the one gallon tank because, according to Betta sites...and I mean people who raise and show betta's on a regular basis...the majority recommended that you NOT put a betta in a tank larger than 2 1/2 gallons.

The reason is that bettas are extremely territorial. They feel the need to patrol all areas of the water, so a 5 or 10 gallon tank stresses them terribly. Granted, like people, not all fish have the same personality, so some bettas may do okay in a 10, while others are a bit more stressed.

Granted, I know next to nothing about fish (as my posts probably attest), but my research did show that bettas prefer smaller tanks. I agree, 1/2 gallon seems small, but if his bettas aren't dying right and left, I'd say he's probably okay.

My husband and I joke that if Bill the Betta in our house gets too far out of line, we'll throw him in the 10 gallon with the fin-nipping tetras and line the back of the tank with mirrors...talk about hell for a betta!

Back
Top Bottom