betta questions......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shammond15731

Aquarium Advice Activist
My daughter just got straight A's and 2 student of the month awards at school and for her reward has asked for a betta. My question(s) is what size tank is best for a betta and what setup would be best. This will be in a 13 year olds bedroom so we can't go huge but I don't want too small for the betta to be happy either.

shammond15731 said:
My daughter just got straight A's and 2 student of the month awards at school and for her reward has asked for a betta. My question(s) is what size tank is best for a betta and what setup would be best. This will be in a 13 year olds bedroom so we can't go huge but I don't want too small for the betta to be happy either.

A ten gallon is definitely best... I'm 13 too... So I know she'll love it! The cool thing about the ten, Is that she can put other fish in too if she'd like. Your gonna fishless cycle though right?

Wow I am really feeling old around here lol. You say she could have other fish with the betta in a ten? I have never before this site heard of a betta in with other fish so can you give me some ideas of what kind will work and how many? I don't want a lot in the tank since it is just going to be a ten and I am going to be teaching her to take care of the tank herself.

actually they've been given a bad rep it's with things like guppies when they're aggressive bc they think they're other bettas, and i can only recommend one and that would be pygmy cories (only pygmy bc theyre small enough for a 10

In my opinion you can't go wrong with a 5 gal tank with a betta. IMO, anything is better than the cups they're born, raised, sold in. Best of luck. Anybody here can answer your questions, especially betta babe.

A side note, I'm not disagreeing with the 10 gal statement, I'm just saying if you can rescue a betta, and only have a clean 1.5 gal, I believe it is better than a bettas death :)

yea but we were just saying that if she got a 10 it'd be better bc she could keep other things with it but i wouldnt go lower then 5 but 10 definently if you want more fish

shammond15731 said:
Wow I am really feeling old around here lol. You say she could have other fish with the betta in a ten? I have never before this site heard of a betta in with other fish so can you give me some ideas of what kind will work and how many? I don't want a lot in the tank since it is just going to be a ten and I am going to be teaching her to take care of the tank herself.

Ya, I have mine with 3 black skirt tetras, (only temporary) and later plan to keep him with neon tetras, African Dwarf Frogs, and ottos in my ten gallon. He's very docile, and if anything, gets bullied by the tetras! The general rule of thumb Is if it looks like a betta (guppies for example) it won't work with a betta. Talk to your daughter and see if she wants a community tank. If so, add the betta last to keep aggression down.

Ok thank you. She will have plenty time to decide (drive me crazy) while we cycle and get everything ready. We are going to get her tank today.

Good luck :) post pictures and keep us updated :)

I already have an API freshwater master test kit that I use for my 30 gallon tank. This isn't our first tank just the first tank that my daughter will be responsible for, and she is very excited.

shammond15731 said:
I already have an API freshwater master test kit that I use for my 30 gallon tank. This isn't our first tank just the first tank that my daughter will be responsible for, and she is very excited.

Oops *blush*

As you were!

:) no problem! She wants a betta for her room and since we have never had one and I don't trust everything me lfs says I figured I would inquire here on tank size and possible roommates for it.

:dance:I have a 5 gal with a betta, 5 neons and 1 otto.. they are very happy! A 10 gal would be fun to populate! Good luck! That would be a really pretty community tank!:fish1:

MABJ said:
In my opinion you can't go wrong with a 5 gal tank with a betta. IMO, anything is better than the cups they're born, raised, sold in. Best of luck. Anybody here can answer your questions, especially betta babe.

A side note, I'm not disagreeing with the 10 gal statement, I'm just saying if you can rescue a betta, and only have a clean 1.5 gal, I believe it is better than a bettas death :)

Thanks for recommending me. As others have said, a ten is best. And bettas can be kept with many kinds of fish. There have even been people who had luck with guppies, but only because the Betta was already used to them. I definitely wouldn't recommend it, though. There are too many what-ifs.

A good guideline is that fish with flowing tails, or fish that are notorious for being very nippy, are not a good match for bettas. If you have any other questions at all, feel free to ask.

Also, be sure to include pictures!

Back
Top Bottom