Betta questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since bettas are so aggressive how do they mate? Bettas are kept in containers but you don't have to change out water? Try to anweser a couple if you can thanks also what size tank 1G?

Bettas need a five gallon tank. Also, when mating, you put the female in at a specific time, and take her out when it's done. And not all bettas are overly aggressive. It depends on the specific fish. Some can be great community fish as long as the tankmates aren't nippy or long finned, while other bettas will attack anything on sight.
Oh, and just like every other fish, you should do a weekly water change. And they need a cycled tank.

Bettababe1011 said:
Bettas need a five gallon tank. Also, when mating, you put the female in at a specific time, and take her out when it's done. And not all bettas are overly aggressive. It depends on the specific fish. Some can be great community fish as long as the tankmates aren't nippy or long finned, while other bettas will attack anything on sight.
Oh, and just like every other fish, you should do a weekly water change. And they need a cycled tank.

Thanks because I fell in love with a white crowntail one .

Ooh! That sounds really pretty! They also should be kept at a temp of 78-82* F. Mine seem to like 80* best. And I feed mine pellets every other day, and give then mashed and deshelled peas once a week. Hope this helps! They really are neat little fish. Such clowns. One I used to have let me pet him all the time.

Bettababe1011 said:
Ooh! That sounds really pretty! They also should be kept at a temp of 78-82* F. Mine seem to like 80* best. And I feed mine pellets every other day, and give then mashed and deshelled peas once a week. Hope this helps! They really are neat little fish. Such clowns. One I used to have let me pet him all the time.

Cool! You get to pet your pet!! I might buy a 5G for him( hope he is not gone when I do buy him) how do you tell gender from them?

The males have long fins and vibrant colors. Females have shorter fins and are usually not as colorful. You can post the picture too if you aren't sure.

Bettababe1011 said:
The males have long fins and vibrant colors. Females have shorter fins and are usually not as colorful. You can post the picture too if you aren't sure.

Thanks kinda like guppys.

Yea, splendens have been bred to be so agressive.... It's kind of like how rams have been handled in such a way that has made them egg-headed parents. Wild type splendens and many other betta species generally don't have that problem.

Also, although tails are usually a dead give away for males, you should always check the pelvic fins of females to make sure they're not actually short finned betta, commonly called Plakats. I've seen several (and bought one) short-finned male betta erroneously labeled female.

Back
Top Bottom