Betta Sorority.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, in realization that getting another tank is simply out of the question due to having no more free space, I tried the whole sorority thing out. It was actually my boyfriend's idea, but anyway... I took in the fish from the 10g in my kitchen and bought five new females. I already have a young female sitting around, so I thought I might as well try throwing her in as well. I bought three veiltails and two crowntails, all different patterns/colors, all in hopes of breeding them with one of my males in the future.

Putting them in the tank was the most nerve-wrecking thing possible. I kind of have this special spot for bettas and was not looking forward to seeing them break into a fight. Not the case at all. They checked each other out and my betta that I have had previously did a bit of chasing. Nothing extravagent, just usual relaxed bettas swimming around. Obviously the five were a little clumsy from not being used to a filter, but they are all in good shape and caught on.

This whole fear of doing a sorority is gone now. Everyone looks good and it's comforting to feel like they actually have company for once. I'm really excited to see how this all goes.

So, I should probably change my name to TheCrazyBettaLady instead. I now have just catfish, bettas (twelve), and a paradise gourami.

I'm so happy that your bettas are doing well! Congratulations. =]

If you want to try breeding them, you should hurry. Makes usually tend to lose their ability to reproduce after 1 year of age.

-Dylan

Dylan5359 said:
If you want to try breeding them, you should hurry. They usually lose their ability to reproduce after 1 year of age.

-Dylan

Um... I have to politely disagree. The males that you buy at the stores are usually at least around nine months old to a year and above. That is when their fins really start to come in, I've read. If I'm confused, don't be afraid to call me out on it. Females, I'm not sure what age they're sold at, but I could imagine them losing their breeding ability that quickly.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

I have 5 together right now and 1 in QT. All calm and happy, and not in cups! I love seeing them have space, and agree they are special. Plus I feel females are overlooked because they aren't as flashy, but I love them just as much. Very spunky! Good luck!

You said you wanted to try breeding them. I forgot to add *males cannot reproduce after 1 year of age. That is when they begin to get their fins more flashier. That is why betta breeders go for the less colorful bettas and or smaller bettas because it usually means they are younger. I bred bettas a little while ago.

-Dylan

Congrats on the sorority! I am also considering one, as I've found the girls really do have as much personality as the males.

Thanks guys. Everything is going very well. The hierarchy is definitely being put together. Two females are going back and forth on being dominant, but the others seem to have already fallen into the lower ranks. I'm keeping an eye on Princess, the little pearl-escent one, to make sure she gets enough food and all. Other than that, there really isn't anymore worries than a normal tank. I'm kind of curious as to why so much of what I read claim this is such a difficult task to pull off or maybe I'm getting ahead of myself?

And to males not being able to breed, that's not entirely true. They just have lower fertility rates. I'm not too terribly worried about breeding, it's really up to my boyfriend. I just love having twelve bettas to wake up to every morning<3

I have a sorority in a 10 gal as well. It seems to be hit or miss. When I first put them together I had 5 of them and I didn't have the tank planted heavily enough. My nerves were shot after a day of watching them. They didn't get real violent doing the death roll or any of the crazy stuff I heard about but, a couple were starting to get nippy and one seemed stressed. I bought a 6th one and took them all out, re-arranged the tank and added more tall plants, put the 6 in and things have been going well since then. No one ever has any damaged fins or anything. I have 4 CT and 2 VT and desperately want a halfmoon! :)

I haven't seen too much and only one of them has any damage, and that is very minor. But still, I put in three more caves to help. My smallest female is coloring up and getting some wieght, so she isn't being picked on.

Sometimes I sneak my two little ones extra food when no ones looking lol. Everyones ranks were clearly established but there is a little uproar happening right now because #6 is making a power play trying to come up in the ranks. One thing for me is cleaning their tank is pretty intense...someone has to stand right there holding the lid up just enough for me to slip the gravel vac in because they jump like crazy..I've never seen anything like it. I fear losing one! I'd always heard bettas were jumpers but none of my males ever have but those girls sure do :)

My three top females stay mostly towards the top, so I distract them first and then put food on the other side of the tank for the other girls. It's working pretty well, so far.

And that's crazy! I would be so scared of one of one of my bettas jumping out. Mine don't get too excited when I'm fixing stuff in the tank. The female that I have had for a few months rubs all over me, but the others are still a little scared.

Yeah even during feeding one of the smaller ones does leaps out of the water over the girls. When you feed, or even if they think you might be feeding, do they all cluster up real tight? Mine get all almost verticle and cram together in a group..it's very bizarre. Some sort of battle for dominance of the food maybe...

I haven't experience that. They basically are all at different levels. The dominate female (Roxanne) stays at the top and the two secondary females go back and forth between the bottom and top and the last three are always at the bottom. They never cluster up.

Interesting how each group is so different. I haven't gotten terribly creative with thier names..so far I have Alpha, Whitehead, and Blackhead LOL I guess I'm burned out on naming things :)

Back
Top Bottom