Betta stress question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a beautiful male betta in a 2.5 gallon tank that is sitting directly next to a 20 gallon community tank with mollies, etc in it and a female betta. I see my male betta staring into the larger tank all the time and sometimes displaying for the female betta who sits on the other side of the glass watching. It's cute to see, but I'm wondering if this is stressing him out? Should I put something between the two tanks so he doesn't have to see the other fish? If he doesn't recognize the glass as a boundary it probably seems to him like all the other fish are in his tank and vice versa.

I have had to do that with my male/female bettas. I don't think it was stressing the male as much as the female. So, I moved them. Now, my female bettas sit next to each other and I have to keep a piece of construction paper between their tanks because one of them tries to act dominant all of the time....silly fish....

If he's been doing that day in and day out without taking any breaks, then I'd say yea. It's probably not good for him to do nothing else but that.

I agree with saffikeagan - if the male betta is constantly flaring and acting agitated, it's going to stress him too much. Put something between the tanks, or tape a piece of paper to the side of the betta tank. If possible, you could move the betta tank to another location.

Back
Top Bottom