Betta tank advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rpgmomma8404

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have my male betta's in a divided tank. I had one divider in the tank but they were going after each other too much and biting their tails in the process. So, I put in a second divider to put a gap between them. It didn't seem to make much of a difference.

I feel like my last possible option is to put them in their own tank.

The problem I'm running into is what size to get. I could get another ten gallon but I don't have room for another one.

I rather have them both in the same size tank also. Then I thought about two 5 gallons but again I'm not sure if I'll have room for them.

How small can I go with bettas and they still be comfortable. I don't want them in 1 gallon tanks. I was thinking around 2.5 up to 3 gallons.

If I put them both in smaller tanks what would be the best filters and heaters to get? What kind of lighting would work with these small tanks?

Any suggestions would be great.

I did think about re-homing one of them to my 15 gallon. Which has three swordtails and a platy. The one I was thinking about doing this with just seems to have gotten more aggressive lately. :confused:

Do you have any plants in the tank? If not I would add some tall plants along the divider to break their line of sight.

You can easily get mesh or something and start a moss wall on each side of the tank. You can use a colored divider that they can't see through. Plants against the divider on both sides but need to be ones that are dense enough. Your lighting will determine what plants you can use.

I would add plants along the side of the divider, but if you need to move them, I think a 2.5 - 3 gallon tank would be fine

This is how it is currently set up if it helps:

http://s1001.photobucket.com/user/rpgmomma8404/media/20131026_121313_zps72bd4ec7.jpg.html

Someone has suggested to get more plants (live or plastic). I'm just unsure what to get. I really don't want to get more plastic but the live plants are petsmart is ridiculously priced and the mom and pop fish store I go to doesn't carry any. The plants have to be easy to care for. Also, would setting up a moss wall on the divider prevent the filter from working correctly? Would I have to replace the one I have and get two sponge filters or something similar for both sides?

A friend also suggested using a darker color mesh but would that work? Should I still keep the gap in between them if I add the live plants and dark mesh (probably best to use these in combination at this point).

I know one size is so much bigger then the other. I'm really tempted to fix this but I don't know how or when I can do it. It was such a pain for me to get those in the tank to begin with.

I personally didn't want just one betta in a ten gallon that is why I decided to go with the divided tank. Had I known I would have this many problems I would have just stuck with one fish. The fish were sick with ich for a long time and then the super aggressive behavior started after they got over it. :banghead:

You should just try adding plants along the sides before doing anything TOO drastic. they might just need to get used to eachother, you never know. If you don't want plastic ones, try those fabric-y plants. I've never tried them myself, but it would change it up a bit if you don't want plastic.

I have one of my bettas in this new 2.6g tank from top fin... he loves it. Tank is $40 though but comes with a light, top, and filter.. and it looks really cool.

img_2700061_0_cab8fbbfd8d2feb2e7d61ca7f8d24856.jpg

You should just try adding plants along the sides before doing anything TOO drastic. they might just need to get used to eachother, you never know. If you don't want plastic ones, try those fabric-y plants. I've never tried them myself, but it would change it up a bit if you don't want plastic.

They been together for over a month now, I think. Maybe a little longer. :confused:

Oh, then that's very odd... It might just be their personalities.

Yeah, I think so. It's just strange because my red betta Hades, ignored my blue betta Kratos flaring for the longest time. They both got ich really bad. They spent most of the time hiding and wouldn't eat much. Once they got better that is when the aggression issues started. Hades started flaring at Kratos more. Then the tail biting started with Hades (I thought he had tail rot at first). Then Kratos also started doing it. These boys have been a handful big time.

I was so excited about being able to finally get betta's I didn't even think about adding more plants and such. I thought since they had their hiding spots they would be okay.

From stuff I have read so far it sounds like a hit or miss with divided tanks. I really should have waited before I got them.

Hey, don't beat yourself up about it. How are we supposed to learn without making mistakes beforehand? Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find something that will work. I really hope things get better for you!

Hey, don't beat yourself up about it. How are we supposed to learn without making mistakes beforehand? Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find something that will work. I really hope things get better for you!

That is true. I'm trying not to but it is hard, lol. It just boils down to money and space at this point. These are my favorite fish out of all three tanks and want them to be happy. :smitten:

I know you can get a ten gallon divider, also you could home the least aggressive in the 15, i have two platies with my betta in a ten, also before i had those two i had 3 platy fry with the betta in the 10, and he didnt attack them! Although temparment is individual to the fish its just a thought! ***They also love plants so i agree with all of the above comments***

That is true. I'm trying not to but it is hard, lol. It just boils down to money and space at this point. These are my favorite fish out of all three tanks and want them to be happy. :smitten:

Ya, exactly. The best thing to try right now would be to try adding the plants. I really wish you the best! I understand your love for those bettas, because I had a betta that I absolutely loved as well. Wish I could help some more, if I figure out another idea I'll tell you!

I know you can get a ten gallon divider, also you could home the least aggressive in the 15, i have two platies with my betta in a ten, also before i had those two i had 3 platy fry with the betta in the 10, and he didnt attack them! Although temparment is individual to the fish its just a thought! ***They also love plants so i agree with all of the above comments***

Yes, I was considering putting the red betta in with my swordtails and platy but he's gotten increasing aggressive (he was the laid back one so it is kind of shocking). This is why I haven't done it.

Yes, I was considering putting the red betta in with my swordtails and platy but he's gotten increasing aggressive (he was the laid back one so it is kind of shocking). This is why I haven't done it.

Ya, I wouldn't risk it. It may be stress causing his aggressive behaviour. Hmmm...

Ya, exactly. The best thing to try right now would be to try adding the plants. I really wish you the best! I understand your love for those bettas, because I had a betta that I absolutely loved as well. Wish I could help some more, if I figure out another idea I'll tell you!

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to see if I can find cheap live plants online. I just wish petsmart was cheaper because I'd rather hand pick the plants! If the plants don't work then I'm going to just put them in their own tanks.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to see if I can find cheap live plants online. I just wish petsmart was cheaper because I'd rather hand pick the plants! If the plants don't work then I'm going to just put them in their own tanks.
check if you can use petsmarts pet perks card!

You can always add him and watch for aggression ?

I could but I am honestly not willing to even take that risk at this point. I don't want to end up with dead swordtails/platy or a dead betta (although I'm pretty sure the betta could kick the other fishes butts).

I could but I am honestly not willing to even take that risk at this point. I don't want to end up with dead swordtails/platy or a dead betta (although I'm pretty sure the betta could kick the other fishes butts).

Ya, I agree, the betta would probably be the one to survive, buts its not worth the stress, to you or the fish, if you err to put them together.

Back
Top Bottom