Betta tank help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyvette

Aquarium Advice Freak
My wife is allowed to have a small vase on her desk if she wants to at work. She has been asking for a betta fish. She can't have an aquarium there (with filter, lights, etc), so I was curious if there was a way I could use a vase without it being inhumane.

Here is what I am thinking-

A Vase
A Substrate (which kind would be best for them? Sand ok?)
A live plant if I could (would one work here... maybe hornwort? Those things won't die if I try to killem :D).
A buddy or 2 (A couple ghost shrimp and a snail?)

Other than that, all they need is betta food right? And I will have her do weekly 50% water changes? Help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Edited to say: Is there a kit I can buy that already has this stuff? Thanks again!
Edited- Is there a small

I do not recommend putting any fish in an unfiltered tank. Could she get one of those compact tanks that have the lights and filter built into the hood?

Fishyfanatic said:
I do not recommend putting any fish in an unfiltered tank. Could she get one of those compact tanks that have the lights and filter built into the hood?

I think. It would have to be small though. Do you have a link for an example?

I wouldnt mind doing a small (3 gallon) one with a small filter. We are in TX, so I doubt we would need a heater. So one of those little ones with a built in light/filter might do perfect. In addition to that, the substrate being sand would probly not work, correct?
I'm thinking small marbles like the "typical" betta tank? :(

Sand substrate would be fine. I used to have one of these for my betta. Although, you can find them ALOT cheaper at Wal-Mart or maybe even try your lfs. The online listing shows $45 but I got mine for $20 at Wal-Mart.

Fishyfanatic said:
Sand substrate would be fine. I used to have one of these for my betta. Although, you can find them ALOT cheaper at Wal-Mart or maybe even try your lfs. The online listing shows $45 but I got mine for $20 at Wal-Mart.

I think I am going to use my current 6 gallon tank I have now. It has a 25watt heater, a light, a small whisper filter (ok, I guess), and a coral life digital thermometer. That shouldn't be bad....

Now for stocking-
1 Betta
2 Cordys?
2-4 Ghost Shrimp?

Does that sound good enough, or could I add another somethin somethin? :)

Lastly, what live plant would work in there. The light is pathetic. Maybe 2 watts. :)

Cryptocoryne sp. would be good low-light plants to try. Then its like a little Asian tank. Do you know what kind of bulb it is and the actual wattage rating?

I put a small piece of driftwood with a java fern attached into my 5 gallon hex betta tank. He really likes hiding in the leaves. BTW I also have a sand substrate in there, so I don't see why you couldn't do the same. It's a nice little tank.

Back
Top Bottom