Betta tank - ideal depth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enchantress

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi! I was wondering about the ideal tank depth for a betta. I know that they don't like tall aquariums, but is there a recommended minimum below which the tank is considered too shallow? And I mean a year-round, life-long setup, not a breeding/growout/temporary tank. I'm asking partly out of curiosity, and partly because I'm looking towards setting up a betta aquarium (just the one male, no tankmates, unless maybe some snails). I would like the betta to be able to swim comfortably up and down as well as from side to side, without feeling confined or cramped. I've browsed all kinds of different sites, but all I could find was information on breeding tanks (not year-round setups), or no information at all.

I think Crystalbettas is the locally recognized expert on bettas, so hopefully she'll chime in. I can tell you that my wife has a single betta in a 5g on her desk, which seems to do very well. I also know of people who have bettas in 10g tanks, as well as smaller nano tanks.

I keep mine in a 10 gallon and have kept them in a 20 long...alone. I just plant the tank heavy and it all seems worth it.

I don't know what the minimum is, if there is one. But thinking logically here, bettas live in rice paddies in their natural habitat, which are like, what, somewhere around 1 ft deep. I bet you could get away with something around 10 inches. My betta is in a 10 gal tank with ghost shrimp and loves it.

Thanks for the replies. I have my eye on a tank that's just under 10 inches tall (25cm), but after I add the water and the gravel, the actual water level will be much lower - about 7-8 inches (18-20cm). Do you think that'll be OK, or too shallow? The floor space would be pretty large, 19x9inches, so all I'm worried about is the height. I'd hate to have my little guy uncomfortable. I might add that the betta would be living there alone, no tankmates :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom