Betta tank mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 27 gal tank I would like to stock with
1 dwarf gourami
1 apistogramma
1 Pelvicachromis pulcher (a.k.a kribs)
1 (peaceful) female betta
5 panda corys
1 brittlenose pleco

Can the betta go with these if I take her in a container and put her next to the glass of other fish and she doesn't react?

A heated bucket will be fine. Skip the aeration because bettas prefer a still waters surface. Keep the lid on or some plastic wrap over the top to prevent jumping. It would also be a good idea to supply something for her to hide in. Keep an eye on ammonia because it won't be cycled.

I thought betta could survive without filters? If not I'll try to convince my parents to let me get a 5 gal.

Not for long periods of time. some lfs workers will say differently, (some say "oh, bettas could live in toilets.") but all fish need a filter, regardless of what they say.

bud29 said:
Not for long periods of time. some lfs workers will say differently, (some say "oh, bettas could live in toilets.") but all fish need a filter, regardless of what they say.

Incorrect. Fish don't *need* filters but they do make our jobs as fish keepers easier (cycled tanks = fewer water changes). They also provide surface agitation which promotes oxygen exchange. Some heavily planted tanks don't even need them.

Mumma.of.two said:
Incorrect. Fish don't *need* filters but they do make our jobs as fish keepers easier (cycled tanks = fewer water changes). They also provide surface agitation which promotes oxygen exchange. Some heavily planted tanks don't even need them.

It's a bait fish bucket so its oxygenated.

Sillyfishies said:
It says bettas can live without a heater and filter for 1-3 years. I will have it in for like a week.

They do much better with warmer water because they are from a tropical environment. Room temp is fine as long as it stays in the high 70's. 1 is too young to die but IME 3-5 years is about the average.

Sillyfishies said:
It's a bait fish bucket so its oxygenated.

Sounds fine. Better than being in a potentially dangerous situation.

I heard that the betta would be fine with the kribs and apistogramma but horrible with dwarf gourami. Should I replace the dwarf gourami or just try? Cuz I would rather have the betta

Mumma.of.two said:

Well said. But I'm to cowardly to try it myself. I saw an amazing unfiltered 29 gallon planted tank one time and quite a few small 1-5 gallon planted betta setups with beautiful healthy bettas that were pretty darn old. I'd like to try that out some day!

I heard that the betta would be fine with the kribs and apistogramma but horrible with dwarf gourami. Should I replace the dwarf gourami or just try? Cuz I would rather have the betta

If it were me I would try. Who knows, you might get lucky. And since you have a plan b, you should be OK if it doesn't work out.

Back
Top Bottom