Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Betta tank uppdate?

Ive had my bette fish for about 2 years now. He was full grown when i bought him after my freshmen year in high school. Lately he has been chilling in his tank and not swimming very much. He has a 2.5 - 3 gallon tank with italian vals in there and an air pump. I'm not sure if i should update him into a bigger tank such as a 5 gallon or 10, simply because he is not very active. Is it because he is getting older or is he just bored in his current tank?

Old 10-12-2018, 11:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Does the tank have a heater, is it cold in the room? Colder than say 78F?

Is there a filter? Do you know about the nitrification system? And not to rinse the filter pad in plain tap water, or even change the filter pads?

What is your water change schedule? Do you refill with treated tap water when you have evaporation?

Do you have a test kit, and what are the water parameters/numbers before doing a pwc? You can always save a sample to test for after you get done.

I would increase water changes. Freshen up the tank water.

Try a new food maybe.

If he is in a tank with out a filter and no flow they can lose muscle and get weaker by not swimming much.

Does he have a Betta log or leaf, or do the Vals loop around near the top of the water like little hammocks so he can lay in them?

Laying in the substrate in the bottom increases the chance of fin issues like rot. So I would get him something to lounge in near the top 1/3 of the aquarium, not IN the filter flow if there is flow.

A 3-5G tank is always nice, some Betta aren't as much into swimming as others, but they should usually swim around the tank and swim around stem plants and look around. If they have good clean water reasonably clean substrate and a cycled tank, they should be acting normal and swimming some, getting excited to see you come into the room to feed, kinda beg for a little treat.

Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

FW Favorites right now Clown Loaches, any shrimp - SW Vase Red Mangroves
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ate, betta, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com