betta tankmate -scavenger?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

id10t

Aquarium Advice Regular
My family is quickly falling into the effects of multi-tank syndrome. I setup mine a few months ago, got my daughter one for her birthday last week, my mom got one tonight.

She wanted a betta, and a smaller tank. Of the choices available where we are, I chose the eclipse system 3 setup, some gravel, and 3 low light plants - she chose a nice betta, and I got her all set up at home, including a small amount of my gravel and a piece of filter media from my established tank.

However, now I'm wondering about a scavenger - if she'll need one and if so which one? Its a 3 gallon tank - so I'm thinking either some sort of shrimp or a snail or two.

Suggestions?

The corys are interesting, but not only have I never seen them in my area, it is only a 3 gallon tank and I think that 3 of the corys would make too big of a bioload.

Are ghost shrimp the same as the grass shrimp I buy at the bait shop?

Well, the most I would suggest would be 2, the ones I used to have topped out at about 1/2 inch. :D

Bamboo shrimp are better at keeping your water crystal clear. They do eat a little from the substrate, but I wouldn't call them scavengers.

Kim

I've had ghost shrimp in the past.. and one didn't look like a shrimp anymore when I found it. Though I do have 5 african dwarf frogs and they do eat whatever they can find....they just have bad aim...

They pick and pick, and pick.
How did you get your ADF's to eat leftovers? Mine ignore everything but frozen food.

Kim

Easily, if they don't have any food they scavenge lol If I see them scrounging around for something, most of them will feed from my hand and I give them bloodworms pinched between my fingers. But if they don't have any food available they will go digging. The eat fish flakes and everything. I tried using sea shells as food for them but then my baby mollies kept getting into it so I stopped.

lol since they learned that I feed my betta fish blood worms they'll go up to the top of the surface and eat them if they can't find anything on the ground. Try pinching some food together and putting it in front of them, they might eat it if they smell it.

Back
Top Bottom