Betta water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flambore

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was forced to move my daughter's betta out of the aquarium into a smaller 1-gallon tank since we added a molly.

This one-gallon tank has an undergravel filter that came with it.

How do you go about changing the water out for bettas? Since there is no bio cycle (I guess one could develop in the ugf in this case), but a LOT of people have theirs in those stupid tiny little jars or bowls.

Since fish don't like drastic changes in anything, if you change the water, the ammonia level will change drastically. Isn't it harmful/stressful for the fish to change out the water like that?

Should I just do the 15% per week water change like a typical aquarium? What about vacuuming? A 1-gallon tank will empty too quick. Would it help to put a small scavenger fish in with it?

any help would be apprecaited.

thanks,
Frank

Hi again Frank,
I talked about the betta a little in your other thread. I still believe a one-gallon tank or bowl is too small for a betta. He may be prone to finrot in this environment. But if it's your only option, I would remove the UGF - it won't do much for you and in that little space, it may create too much current for a betta. You'll probably have to change 40-50% of the water twice a week, or, say, 30% every other day. A tank this small won't cycle, so you'll really have to keep up with the water changes. Try to put the tank in a room that stays warm and doesn't experience temperature fluctuations.

Yes, large water changes can be stressful, but you most likely will have to change more than the 15% that you do in the filtered tanks. You'll have to test frequently to keep on top of the ammonia levels. You can gravel vac if you can fit a small or mini one in there. If at all possible, don't remove the betta to do the water change -- that would be very stressful. Pour the new water in very slowly to avoid a big water movement. Also, it's not a good idea to put another fish in there -- it's just too small and without adequate filtration.

Back
Top Bottom