Betta, weekend feeder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We have a betta here at work, I usually stop by during the weekends and feed it frozen blood worms. I was wondering If I could use those 3 day food tabs they use for other FW fish?

You would be just as well off no feeding him over the weekend. Those weekend feeders are mostly calcium and just dissolve and make a mess. We have a liitle tank with neons here at the office and they go without food every weekend and they are doing just fine.

Cool, thanks a bunch. Kinda getting tired of coming to work on sundays.....;)

I agree with Rich - no need to feed over the weekend. I always skip a day of feeding my bettas through the week. This "fast" gives their system a chance to rest, and it more closely mimics nature - fish in the wild most likely do not eat every day. So don't worry about coming in over the weekend to feed. And like Rich says, the weekend feeders usually are not worth the trouble - they will dissolve and just make a mess of the tank and possibly cause an ammonia spike if you don't get all the food out. You would then be doing a big water change on Monday morning!

I agree with everyone else. Those weekend feeders usually dissolve after a day. Then they just cloud the water and make the tank nasty. The betta will be fine~

We feed our tanks every day Monday through Friday. But on the weekends, they do not get fed. Those weekend feeders are more trouble then worth.

I like the idea of not feeding over the weekend, even though I don't work. ;)

Gives the fish a rest period and makes them a little more active during the week after food. I think I will slowly break them into to that feeding schedule.

Then again, if you have plants or any algae at all then the fish have somethng to eat all weekend anyway.

Nah, he'll be fine. They can go up to a month without feeding (Don't consider that option though). But just to tell you that they can go 2 days without being fed.

Back
Top Bottom