Betta with clamped fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cre8byconstance

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_6521.JPG

I just brought Nux, a silver halfmoon betta, home today. He has clamped pectoral fins. Any advise on how to help him heal?

Well I believe ya could try some salt general rule of thumb I use salt as a medication. For my oscars in cases such as ick which also can cause clamped fins I just had a Oscar with clamped fins and ick one handful of salt cleared it up in three days ! I'm unsure about betas and salt so ya might do some research before subjecting but I was always taught salt is a good thing In cases like this its used to medicate and has worked well for me don't over do it general rule I use is one handful

He isn't moving his pectoral fins at all? What size is your tank? What are the parameters and is it cycled? Do you have a heater and filter? Did you acclimate the fish? What is the temperature of the water? He could just be shocked at the sudden change and adjusting.

He isn't moving his pectoral fins at all? What size is your tank? What are the parameters and is it cycled? Do you have a heater and filter? Did you acclimate the fish? What is the temperature of the water? He could just be shocked at the sudden change and adjusting.

He moves the fins a little, but doesn't stretch them out normally. His fins were clamped at the store (one of the reasons I got him as I wanted to make sure he was taken care of and not stuck in a bowl and overlooked). He's currently in a 1 gallon tank while the 5 gallon that will be his home finished cycling. The temperature is good and he has a filter. I'm hoping just the better living conditions will help, but was wondering if there is anything else I can do for him to speed up healing.

If they were like that in the cup I'm thinking it was just because of his terrible conditions, do water changes really regularly in that 1 gallon and make sure the parameters are good. Usually clamped fins are a symptom of something else which I think would be the bad water conditions and stress. How far are you along in that cycle, if you aren't anywhere near finished I would just do a water change put him in the 5 gallon and proceed to do a fish-in cycle with some sort of bacterial additive. This is because it's easier to keep your water stable in a 5 gallon and will probably cause your betta less stress in the long term. Is he swimming well?

Back
Top Bottom