Betta with Danios - Trouble with Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nmerc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a few zebra danios and fire ring danios, and yesterday I added a female betta to my tank (it is 20 gallons). My concern is that every time I fed them today, the danios gobbled up the food before the betta even got to it! They seem to have much faster reaction times... And of course they won't stop eating, they just keep going and going until there is no food left.

Anyway, I bought some betta pellets because I read that bettas won't eat flake food. She spit those out, though. I'm not sure if they were too big or she just didn't want them. And the danios eventually gobbled them up before I could really tell what was going on with her.

I also have freeze dried blood worms and freeze dried brine shrimp. She did manage to eat one blood worm when I fed them as a treat today, but the danios kept eating all the other ones that I dropped in front of her before she could get to them.

Any suggestions? Has anybody had this problem before? My danios are such piggies!

Well, in case anybody was wondering, I got rid of the danios. Thanks for absolutely NO replies!!

I just saw this. I know nothing about Danios. But my betta LOVES frozen bloodworms. I just thaw a few in a cup with a little tank water. He does eat betta pellet for his daily feedings. I understand your frustration about no replies. I've been there.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi, read about this today, too. I had this problem with my tetras. I would distract them (tetras) with food on one side of my tank, and on the other side, I would feed my betta with some pellets as close to his mouth as I could. As stated before, bettas and pretty much any other fish LOVE frozen foods and it's more nutritious than freeze-dried. I feed my betta Aqueon Tropical Betta Food, frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, frozen mysis, and flakes.

Back
Top Bottom