Betta with WCMM?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyWater2525

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

I currently have a fully cycled 10 gallon fish tank with 6 WCMM, and I wanted to add a little more color, though I'm absolutely in love with them!!!! I was thinking about a betta fish, but many people say bettas are tropical and warm water is a must..
I don't get this because in the past a have had bettas in unfiltered, unheated, small tanks and they lived for a VERY long time.:blink: The first beta I ever had even stayed in untreated water inside a plant vase. ( I was very young and had no idea how to care for him) Even in those conditions, he lived for 2 years!!!!( actually 3 because he was a year old when I got him) And please don't go off on me about any of this stuff, because I didn't know better, but I do now.

My real question is

Would I be able to keep a betta in my 10 gallon with my WCMM? The pH is 7.4 and the temperature is 71 F.

I really want to know if they are compatible and if I have enough room left for a betta. I would be willing to get a female if I needed to. I also want to know if my pH is good for a Betta.

I really hope I don't come across as mean, and if you think this really isn't possible, a suggestion on 1 small colorful fish to put in there would be appreciated (if there are any).

Thank you for taking the time to read this! I hope you have a great day!!!!!:thanks:

If you are ok with rehoming it once it gets too big, a goldfish would be nice :) I love the long finned feeder fish, they are so graceful and very colorful, not to mention cheap!

Yes,
There are 2 White Cloud Mountain Minnows and
4 Gold White Cloud Mountain Minnows in my tank.

If you mean rehoming the beta, a goldfish would be WAY too big for a 10 gallon. And a beta only gets 2".

Aqadvisor says I would be 73% stocked

I love the long finned feeder fish, they are so graceful and very colorful, not to mention cheap!

I thought about keeping one of those not too long ago, only to find out that they can grow to be 1 or 2 feet long!!!! But thank you for trying to help!!!:D:thanks:

Yes, that is true. I did however keep two in a ten gallon with a small school of WhiteClouds (5) for 3 years and they did not get bigger than 2.5 inches while I had them. Goldfish secrete a growth inhibitor hormone that allows them to grow very slow when in a smaller place.

Hmmm.... I remember having WCMM in a community tank years ago that was kept at 76F. They did just fine. Wouldn't this be warm enough for the Betta but still cool enough for the WCMM? OS.

Hmmm.... I remember having WCMM in a community tank years ago that was kept at 76F. They did just fine. Wouldn't this be warm enough for the Betta but still cool enough for the WCMM? OS.

Yes, Old Scales, it is, but I forgot to mention that the tank came without a heater, and I can't afford to buy one.
I've had betas that survived in 68 F temperature, and they were fine, so maybe I can keep one at 71 F????:confused: My tanks is very well planted with plenty of hiding spots, and my White Clouds aren't aggressive at all.... Do you think this could work????:ermm:

Yes, that is true. I did however keep two in a ten gallon with a small school of WhiteClouds (5) for 3 years and they did not get bigger than 2.5 inches while I had them. Goldfish secrete a growth inhibitor hormone that allows them to grow very slow when in a smaller place.

Yes, Venymae, although this is true, I think I would end up feeling really bad about not letting the goldfish grow happily....:(

Since the 4 Gold White clouds are still very young and small, could I purchase a baby betta, so that it can grow up with the other fish? I hear this makes them less aggressive toward other fish if they grow up in a community.

Yes, Venymae, although this is true, I think I would end up feeling really bad about not letting the goldfish grow happily....:(

Well I suppose to each his own. :lol: I guess my thought was, just because you are growing slower doesn't mean you're not happy:D They had lots of swim room- appropriate for their size, good food, good temp, and pristine water. Also lots of snail snacks. lol:oops: poor pond snails never did over populate in their tank.

I have been researching Beta's for my eventual purchase. They can survive in lower temps but are more prone to illness. They need at least a water temp of 78 degrees. A heater is listed as a must for good Beta keeping. You can get a heater for as little as $10 on Amazon and free shipping too. I did just a few months ago. Drfostersandsmith.com has a sale on heaters right now too. You could post an add in the classifieds on here for a heater cheap and I am sure someone would have one. Aquabid and DX.com is also another place to look. The minnows may or may not survive with a Beta. They are fast fish and may be able to keep out of the Beta's way. Have you thought about a small Gourami? They are pretty and wouldn't bother the minnows.

The growth inhibitor hormone actually causes what is called "stunting" in a goldfish, meaning that their outsides do stop growing but their insides don't, causing terrible suffering. Goldfish really, really need a minimum of 30 gallons for fancies and 100 gallons for single-tailed. They should never be kept in a 10 gallon. Stunting is irreversible and will considerably shorten what can be a 20+ year lifespan. :(

Back
Top Bottom