Bettamax Use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcyShado

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought a betta and the guy suggested that I use bettamax. I used the bettamax on the water which turned green (from my searches on the internet, I believe this if normal.. I hope). I was wondering whether or not I should use the bettamax all the time or can I simply put in regular spring water with no treatment. The green-ness of the water is a real turnoff and I would like to be able to see the beautiful colors of my fish. I know that the bettamax is supposed to get rid of diseases, but constant medication can't be good, can it?

Nah, you dont need to be constantly adding it. If your fish ever develops fin rot or he gets nipped. It would be good to have nearby so you can treat him.

Hi and welcome to Aquarium Advice!!

Bettamax does turn the water green. You don't need to use Bettamax all the time; like Endgame said, it's good to have on hand if your betta gets nipped by tankmates or gets finrot. Is he in a tank or bowl by himself? If he's by himself, you don't have to worry about nipping. Other causes for raggety fins are plastic plants. They can have sharp edges that can snag the betta's long, delicate fins. I have silk plants in with my betta.

How big is the tank or bowl? Spring water is ok, but I would still add some slime coat enhancement to the water. I use Novaqua (it's also a chlorine remover). I add 5 drops per gallon. The recommened dose is 10 drops per gallon, but I mix half tap water and half RO water, so since the RO water doesn't have chlorine, I half my dose of Novaqua. I've heard varying recommendations on the proper amount of Novaqua, from 5 to 10 drops per gallon (if you're using tap water), but you really can't overdose it, so I would say anywhere from 5 to 10 drops per gallon is fine.

Back
Top Bottom