bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pixieprincess

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just got two new female bettas i was wondering can i keep them in a large tank together or should i keep them seperated??

They should be fine together, but it depends on the temperment. I had two females once and the agressive one stressed out the passive one way too much and I ended up having to separate them. Put them together and see how it goes.

In a densely decorated (i.e. planted or layered with silk plants) 10g you could keep two female bettas, but it would be preferable for you to have three to disperse the aggression among them. Also, note that not all females will fit the community mold, and some will attack their "sisters" regardless and will need to be separated.

A better idea would to have a larger tank and have it just as densely decorated if you only want the two females instead of three or more.

I agree, so keep a close eye on them for the first week or two and look for signs of stress or torn fins. In general though, it should be OK. Were they in the same tank together where you got them? If so, than they're already used to each other.

My daughter has three sisters in one tank together, only minor pecking order at dinner time; they keep company with three oto cats.

But she has another so aggressive it recently jumped from one tank to another and killed all the residents she could reach. Shw was preventeedd from being oscar chow with a former owner by us. But she has really tron thorugh his community tank before she was stuck in amargerine tub til we got her.
She killed 4 young angels, 2 gourami, one of her 3 sisters, 5 otos 2 cories and surprisingly a dwarf cichlid. All in a span of 3 days. And they had to nearly tear down the tank to catch her and remove her.

So there are some extremes for you.

Just be careful and make sure that the lesser fish can escape the dominant one.
watch closely for signs of major aggression.
Also they are more likely to fight harder if they are equally matched than if there is differences in size. If they are on teh aggressive side, ,that is. If they all came from the same tank you are less likely to have problems

Back
Top Bottom