Bettas and Otto's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redd

Aquarium Advice Regular
Question, I have a sectioned filtered 10gal(picture in photo album) for my moon, veil, & crown tail bettas and because my wife loves keeping the light on in the evening(as a night light) we've developed quite the amount of algae in the tank. Each 7x5x10in chamber is perforated to aid in water circulation and holds about 1.5gal each. I am thinking of adding 3 small ottos to the tank to feast on the green veggies, but want to know if this is overcrowding. I keep the temp around 82deg, use aquarium salt, water conditioner, and slime coat. My water parameters are checked weekly and cleaned twice a month, ph is around 7.8 and everything else is usually within safe range. What's your thoughts on this set-up and idea of adding the otto's?

Ok the ottos couldnt live in there due to the segments. Also the ottos would starve. The bettas are probably going to be stressed beyond belief due to the light always being on. The betta fish is one of the fish that usually prefer dim lighting. So having a bright light always on could be stressful...

Redd said:
Question, I have a sectioned filtered 10gal(picture in photo album) for my moon, veil, & crown tail bettas and because my wife loves keeping the light on in the evening(as a night light) we've developed quite the amount of algae in the tank. Each 7x5x10in chamber is perforated to aid in water circulation and holds about 1.5gal each. I am thinking of adding 3 small ottos to the tank to feast on the green veggies, but want to know if this is overcrowding. I keep the temp around 82deg, use aquarium salt, water conditioner, and slime coat. My water parameters are checked weekly and cleaned twice a month, ph is around 7.8 and everything else is usually within safe range. What's your thoughts on this set-up and idea of adding the otto's?
Hi and welcome to AA.
It's not a good idea to add the ottos. There just isn't enough room for them. Most are wild caught and ONLY eat algae so supplementing their diet is near impossible. It's not a good idea to leave the light on for extended periods of time it will cause excess algae and stress the fish. You can look into moonlighting for the tank. That way you can have the lights on but not stress the fish or encourage algae growth.
I just have to add that 2.5g per Betta or more is what is usually recommend for them.

Thanks for the replies, but I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I have 5 bettas in the tank as of yet. Based on your answer of 2.5gal per betta, I guest my tank is already overcrowded. One died(some infection that had some of his fins & spots on his body turning white) and another is floating with a swim bladder issue, any remedies for that? He's bloated and hopefully im not doing internal damage, but seeing him floating on his side was driving me crazy so I've been lightly masaging his bladder to possibly rid it of some of the built-up gas. Don't know if its a good idea, but at least now he's right-side-up. I had a white moon tail (Salt) that had this issue for 2-3 months before dying and don't want this to happen with Sam, my green/white veil tail. Thoughts anyone?

Btw this site is SO informative, I wish I knew about this months ago before my set-up and the many bettas I mysteriously lost due to lack of knowledge.

Dude I recomend you get down to ONE betta. Then you can add some other creatures maybe. First get down to one betta then (depending on its temperment) consider adding ghost shrimp, african dwarf frogs, or some peaceful short finned fish.

Thanks but I'm 5 bettas too late at this point. Like I said, had I know then what I know now, I wouldn't have this many bettas. Based on the info I get from the pet shop, "Oh a 10gal is more than enough room for 6 bettas, look at these small bowls we house them in. They live in small puddles, so you'll be fine", I was thinking I was doing good until reading different post on this site. Now I know I definitely can't add anymore fish in there.

Yea sorry you fell victim to the pet store. We all have. You could try to see if anyone wanted a betta lol

I'm not going to comment on the stocking number or anything, but to answer your question IMO you can keep bettas and ottos together. I have 3 ottos and 1 Betta in a 20g and they work fine. I think it will depend on your bettas temperament...just plan for a backup if it doesn't work out...

I'm not going to comment on the stocking number or anything, but to answer your question IMO you can keep bettas and ottos together. I have 3 ottos and 1 Betta in a 20g and they work fine. I think it will depend on your bettas temperament...just plan for a backup if it doesn't work out...
Yes bettas and otos can live together but not in the current situation due to the sectioned off tank.

I had a blue double tail beta that I had in a 10 gallon with a ottocinulus and had no problems. The only time I saw the Otto was when he was breaking the sound barrier swimming around the tank.

My ottos are always seen and are quite active, they will even let me touch them!

Redd said:
Thanks but I'm 5 bettas too late at this point. Like I said, had I know then what I know now, I wouldn't have this many bettas. Based on the info I get from the pet shop, "Oh a 10gal is more than enough room for 6 bettas, look at these small bowls we house them in. They live in small puddles, so you'll be fine", I was thinking I was doing good until reading different post on this site. Now I know I definitely can't add anymore fish in there.

Are you able to buy another tank to section off and transfer some over?
You have 10 bettas now?
It's good to see they have a filter and a heater! :)
Do you know what the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH readings are in your Betta tanks?
How often do you do water changes?
Do you know what Cycling a tank is?
Fish disease is often brought on by stress, poor water conditions and over crowding.

Thing I find out about betta's is that they do not like a strong current even though they have big fins they are kinda floppy and don't have much power.

So putting in a big filter in a 10 gallon will blow them out of the water.

Do all of your bettas have access to the surface? Bettas need to be able to reach the surface to breath air.

Otos are very active but they only eat soft algae, not the hard green spot algae. You CAN supplement their diets, mine love zuchinni. But no, I don't think your current set up is good for otos. They need a lot of space to "zoom" around and thrive in schools.

Your best bet is lots of elbow grease (scrubbing) and reducing your lighting.

(Arms crossed in fustration) I've been dooped! Thank you all for the feed back. Hey Mumma and Godfan, if you don't mind, can I ask you all a few questions I asked the workers at large chain "Pet" stores (that I'll rather not name)?

1. So I guess its obvious now that 6 bettas in a 10gal tank wasn't a good idea(so I won't even mention the 3 I have in a 5.5gal tank). Yet ALL the employees said, "Bettas live in small rice patties in the wild, so small bowls are good enough - a 10gal tank is more than enough space for them".

2. When getting the 10gal I asked if I should use a heater and EVERYONE said, "NO, Bettas don't need heated water, room temperature was enough", therefore I didn't get a thermometer until weeks later. The fish were lathargic suffering from clamp fins etc. I lost a few betta realizing that during the summer months the house was at 78deg, but evenings with the AC on, it would dip to 62-65deg. That daily drastic temp change must've stressed the fish to the limit. After realizing & reseaching, I got heaters, thermometers, and now maintain a temp of 78-82deg in all my tanks.

3. I read in various post that mettafix isn't good for your fish, which would explain why everytime I used it a betta died. Yet my pet store "experts", swear by it.

4. I was told that bettas are freshwater fish and all they need is water conditioner. Yet researching suggest using aquarium salt to provide a protective coat and electrolytes for their bodies, therefore I add it in every water change. Should I continue or stop?

5. I recently read in a post that those water test strips are not accurate, yet this is what I was given and use them weekly. Is this true, should I get the test tube mix type?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I would like to get set on the right track before more of my bettas perish. Thanks in advance.

Redd said:
(Arms crossed in fustration) I've been dooped! Thank you all for the feed back. Hey Mumma and Godfan, if you don't mind, can I ask you all a few questions I asked the workers at large chain "Pet" stores (that I'll rather not name)?
AH THE NEIGHBORHOOD CHAIN STORE! DONT GET USE STARTED ON THEM LOL

1. So I guess its obvious now that 6 bettas in a 10gal tank wasn't a good idea(so I won't even mention the 3 I have in a 5.5gal tank). Yet ALL the employees said, "Bettas live in small rice patties in the wild, so small bowls are good enough - a 10gal tank is more than enough space for them".
THEY LIVE IN RICE PADDIES, YES. THEY OBVIOUSLY HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN A RICE PADDY BEFORE LOL. IMO 2.5g IS THE ABSOLUTE MINIMUM FOR A SINGLE BETTA 5g EACH WOULD BE EVEN BETTER :)
2. When getting the 10gal I asked if I should use a heater and EVERYONE said, "NO, Bettas don't need heated water, room temperature was enough", therefore I didn't get a thermometer until weeks later. The fish were lathargic suffering from clamp fins etc. I lost a few betta realizing that during the summer months the house was at 78deg, but evenings with the AC on, it would dip to 62-65deg. That daily drastic temp change must've stressed the fish to the limit. After realizing & reseaching, I got heaters, thermometers, and now maintain a temp of 78-82deg in all my tanks.
ITS GREAT THAT THEY HAVE HEATERS. THEY COME FROM A TROPICAL ENVIRONMENT SO OUR ROOM TEMP IS ACTUALLY COLD FOR THEM. 80F IS PERFECT.

3. I read in various post that mettafix isn't good for your fish, which would explain why everytime I used it a betta died. Yet my pet store "experts", swear by it.
OTHERS MAY DISAGREE BUT IMP MELAFIX ISNT FOR BETTAS. FROM WHAT I HAVE READ I WOULDN'T TRUST IT AT ALL.

4. I was told that bettas are freshwater fish and all they need is water conditioner. Yet researching suggest using aquarium salt to provide a protective coat and electrolytes for their bodies, therefore I add it in every water change. Should I continue or stop?
SALT IS NOT NEEDED. GREAT FOR A TREATMENT/MEDICATION BUT NOT FOR ALL THE TIME. FRESHWATER FISH NEED FRESH WATER :)
5. I recently read in a post that those water test strips are not accurate, yet this is what I was given and use them weekly. Is this true, should I get the test tube mix type?
YEP TEST STRIPS SUCK. THEY CAN BE VERY INACCURATE. GET YOURSELF A LIQUID TEST KIT. API MASTER TEST KITS IS THE MOST WIDELY RECOMMENDED.

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I would like to get set on the right track before more of my bettas perish. Thanks in advance.

I wrote in capitals.
Don't apologize for asking questions! That's what AA is for.
Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? The reason you lost so many Bettas in the beginning may have been because your tanks where cycling.

Im basically gonna agree with mumma on everything but probably word it diferent.
1. Bettas live in rice paddies (which are actually HUGE) but they also live in puddles. Wild bettas. Not domestic bettas. They also only endure these conditions for a short period of time.
2. Contrary to popular belief bettas are tropical fish and require TROPICAL temperatures. Actually considering there hot natural environment they need warmer than most fish. 80 degrees to 82. They can ENDURE cold water but you could ENDURE living outside in 40 degree weather in shorts right? The petstores are awful to bettas.
3. Metafix is for ich right? I have never used it Unless I had an offbrand but I probably would not recomend it for any fish. Just think of it this way, your fish get chemicals in there water no matter what so why add to it? Salt and 86-88 degree water is a great treatment for ich (never used it myself but am told by ALOT of smart people it works.
4. I wouldnt add any salt. We do in our tank that has mollies but usually I wouldnt do it. Our other two tanks are salt free. It wont hurt some fish but others hate it.
5. I personally dont have a method to change my water (gulp) but I have heard bad things about strips.

No problem. Anytime we are glad to help.
As a sidenote: basically everything a petstore has told you about bettas is propably not true. They CAN (with certain exceptions) be kept with other fish and sometimes shrimp! They are quiet active when properly maintained and are VERY personable!
Good luck and God bless!

Melafix is suppose to be a natural antibacterial remedy. Good for very minor cuts and abrasions that would heal on their own with just clean water and maybe some salt. It is not used for ich. Ich is a parasite that can be killed with high temps and salt.

Melafix is suppose to be a natural antibacterial remedy. Good for very minor cuts and abrasions that would heal on their own with just clean water and maybe some salt. It is not used for ich. Ich is a parasite that can be killed with high temps and salt.
oops sorry. Well listen to mumma about the melafix. Im clueless lol

Back
Top Bottom