Bettas and puffers....two questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daydreamer4186

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1) I was thinking about getting a male betta but are they in any way aggressive to other fish (not other bettas). I have guppies and mollies right now and I don't want them to get beat up!

2) I saw some dwarf puffers that I am also considering in the future. Does anyone know anything about them. Are they hard to care for?

1. Guppies and bettas can be a bad mix. The bettas see the males guppies as other male bettas.

2. Dwarf puuffers are best in a species tank. They can be very nippy.

How about a female betta?

A little less aggressive & can be very pretty.

Web_red_head_2.gif

Orange_and_green_marble.gif

I have had male and female bettas in with mollies, they pretty much ignore each other. I also have had a dwarf puffer with my females and males and they ignore each other too. lol

Note: when I say this I don't mean I keep my males all together in a tank >__<

My LFS once led me to make the mistake of keeping guppies with a male betta. By the time I realized there were issues, I had to euthanize one of the guppies. :( I was able to return the others but I felt so horrible about it I just had to share. I have no experience with female bettas, but males are a definite no.

dwarf puffer will snip the fins of other fish. You will also have to feed them live snails so their jaws don't get too thick. If you have live plants in the tank, those puffers will snip the plants as well.

Here is a good site for dwarf puffer
http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

I had them for awhile, i was surprised by how aggressive they are.

dwarf puffers will torture your male bettas.

those little devils will behave when they betta is facing them, but when it turns, they dashe in for a little fin snack. Or one on each end and takes turns nipping. :(

Really? Mine ignores everyone and just slinks along the bottom and middle of the tank in search of food lol ...though I did have a couple before that DID peck at other fish but I didn't have snails then either

Back
Top Bottom