bettas, height or width?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FastFly67

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got 1 crowntail betta in a vase that's 8 inches tall 6-6 1/2 inches wide (it curves in at the center) and he seems quite content. Saw another betta at the store today that I'd like to bring home and I was wondering if he'd be just as happy in a short wide bowl to kind of offset the current one decoratively speaking. yes? no? opinions?

My opinion is that bettas need more than "decorative bowls" for living space. The smallest I have a female betta in right now is 2.5 gallons. One of my male bettas inhabits a 10 gallon with three peppered cories. I just think that bettas really deserve lots of swimming space and vases and bowls are just not appropriate for any fish. JMO, though.

IMO a 5 gal is a minimum for a betta. They will be more active and show more personality in 5 or more gallons. I have all of mine in 20 gal tanks. Some with tankmates and one without as he is a mean mean betta.

My female betta is in a 6.6 and my male is in a 14 community tank. They are both just so much fun to watch as they swim about exploring their territory. I thought I'd get a peek at my male betta sleeping last night at 2ish am when I snuck up to the tank. What was he doing? He was under my drift wood stealing the kuhlis food.

They have such personality that if put in a bowl with nothing for them to explore or nothing for them to do, you won't enjoy them nearly as much.

I agree with saffikeagan Zagz. I initially had my crowntail in a one gallon tank and I thought that everything was just fine. The fish was healthy and looked really pretty in the small tank. When I put him in the 20 gallon part of my vivarium, his personality came through. He swims all around now exploring the much larger area. I have a few other fish around him now and they do great together. You can see a world of difference between bettas in small tanks and bettas in larger tanks.

A 5-gallon tank will allow for a small filter (a sponge filter is fine) and a 25-watt heater. Bettas need a consistent water temperature of about 80 degrrees. Room temperature water in a bowl often fluctuates, which causes stress (finrot).

However, if at least a 5-gallon is not possible, the 3.5 gallon will still allow for a heater (a 25-watt heater will work) and a filter.

I agree with what everyone has said so far...5 gallons or up is great for a betta...they are much more active, happy and healthy when in a larger, heated and filtered tank. Saffikeagan is right about the maintenance, too...with one betta in a 5 gallon or bigger, the bioload is pretty small so the water and tank stay clean longer. Good luck with your bettas!

Back
Top Bottom