Bettas in community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PleaseHelp

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i bought a betta before. It was a red female and very pretty and i liked her :) I also bought aggresive botia loaches (I NEED TO RESEARCH BEFORE BUYS OMG) that nipped her fins. I want to try a betta again, but i added more fish since last time. I added 3 serpae tetras. Is that okay? I also have various danios.

Forgot to add

My tank is 50 gal. It has 1 ghost shrimp 2 snails 2 guppies 10 neon tetras 2 platies 3 serpae tetra various plants and hiding spots, 3 zebra danio and a marble danio and it is lightly planted

You can give it a shot... Bettas are all around hit or miss. If can work one day and not the next.

Caleb

When I had serpae tetra, they were pretty much my mini piranha. Could have been the batch that I had but I wouldn't put any type of betta with those. Your serpae could be different. If you try it, just be ready to remove the betta. The other community fish is hit our miss with your betta. Your mileage will vary. There has been many and some recent threads about betta in a community. I recommend doing a search in the forum.

Keep an eye on the danios I have some with my betta and he hates them. He's managed to kill 3 out of 5 of them. He honestly gets along with my other betta better than danios

Keep calm and drum on

It could work. Those fish are fairly calm nice fish. So depending on the personality of your Betta it might end up working out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Keep an eye on the danios I have some with my betta and he hates them. He's managed to kill 3 out of 5 of them. He honestly gets along with my other betta better than danios

Keep calm and drum on

Danios are fast fish and can stress bettas. Hence likely why he killed them.

Caleb

So i bought a betta before. It was a red female and very pretty and i liked her :) I also bought aggresive botia loaches (I NEED TO RESEARCH BEFORE BUYS OMG) that nipped her fins. I want to try a betta again, but i added more fish since last time. I added 3 serpae tetras. Is that okay? I also have various danios.

What kind of "botia loaches"? Most botia loaches are quite peaceful. If you had ones that were fin nippy then you either got unlucky, didn't have enough of them for a school, or what you had was not a "botia" loach.

Agreed with everyone. You can try but it will be hit or miss. Also, do not assume that females wouldn't be aggressive either cause that's not true, females can be just as tempered as males. Good luck and make sure to post pictures if it goes smooth! :)

I wouldn't put a beta with serpaes. They are really nippy.

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

I have 5 serpaes in a 20 gallon and they keep to themselves. Sometimes they nip fins of their own kind but, not at a harmful rate. I would add a few more serpaes to make them feel more comfortable as they are a schooling fish. I heard serpaes may nip fins of long finned fish so adding a betta may be a risk.

Back
Top Bottom