Bettas in community tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krissssssy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is probably a silly question but can fighting fish be kept in community tanks? I've only ever kept them by themselves in smaller tanks.

This is probably a silly question but can fighting fish be kept in community tanks? I've only ever kept them by themselves in smaller tanks.

Yes. As long as you only keep one male. It really depends on the male though. Some are more calmer then others. However you can keep multiple females together, I suggest no less then 3. Just make sure if you add one don't have any guppies or anything with long flowing tails that may confuse the betta into thinking it's with another betta.

Reactions: HN1
Depends on the individual fish really, but I agree with the above.

The issues I have had with betas in community tanks is other fish picking on them. Make sure you don't put them in with find nippers!

My girlfriend has her male betta with mollies and platties. They work well together.

I'm going to throw a curve ball in here... I actually have 4 male Betta's in my 220g and have for many many months. I'm not saying this works for everyone but I know others personally and a couple on the forum that have 2 males in a community tank. It really all boils down to each one's temperament. So sometimes it works and sometimes not. Just be sure to have a back up plan in the event the Betta is not a good community resident.

Size matters.

Size helps plus lots of plants really help. When the boys run into each other they flare for a second and each go on their own way. I did have to remove one Betta male that was too aggressive for the community so even size doesn't always help.

You should note that for everyone that says it works there will be be a heap where it failed miserably. If you go ahead with it please be willing to rehome the betta if it looks like it's going to end in death for one party.

I only have one male that I have to take home from work. I'll try him out in the tank otherwise I can pop him back into his bowl.

Back
Top Bottom