Bettas: Some Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insecurity

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my younger sister has kept bettas for a long time, but she was unable to answer my questions, so I figured I'd ask the folks at Aqaurium Advice.

1) Minimum tank size for a betta? I know LFS' keep them in cups- but are they happy in there?

2) Filter & Heater Req'd? My sister says no, and I kinda believe her as she has kept the same betta alive for six years without a heater and filter.

3) Are there ANY other fish that are safe to house with bettas?

1) I would say 5 gallons bare minimum but if you want a happy betta I would say a 10 gallon minimum

2) depends where you live on if you need a heater or not but I would recommend it because they like a higher temp than a lot of other fish ( I kept mine between 80-82F ) and although it is possible to keep fish without a filter with enough water changes I would never recommend it because all the bad levels build up very quickly and it is hard to keep a steady PH level, but it has to be a gentle one and a lot of people baffle it with filter floss.

3) there are a few options depending on tank size and the bettas temperament because they all have different personalities, I kept mine with 6 Pygmy corydoras, a bristle nose pleco and 5 rasbora espei in a 23 gallon but like said depends on the situation :)

1) I would say 5 gallons bare minimum but if you want a happy betta I would say a 10 gallon minimum

2) depends where you live on if you need a heater or not but I would recommend it because they like a higher temp than a lot of other fish ( I kept mine between 80-82F ) and although it is possible to keep fish without a filter with enough water changes I would never recommend it because all the bad levels build up very quickly and it is hard to keep a steady PH level, but it has to be a gentle one and a lot of people baffle it with filter floss.

3) there are a few options depending on tank size and the bettas temperament because they all have different personalities, I kept mine with 6 Pygmy corydoras, a bristle nose pleco and 5 rasbora espei in a 23 gallon but like said depends on the situation :)
Thanks mate. I'm thinking a 20gal for my bedroom, and I'm still undecided if I should do a semi-agresstive barb setup, or a centralized betta setup.

I have a Betta in a 29 gallon. It might be overkill but I think he enjoys patrolling the whole thing and is very aggressive to anything moving around the tank.

He started in a 1 gallon, got sick and upgraded to a 10 gallon, that leaked and was full of plants to the max so I upgraded again to my 29.

He went from sick to healthy in the first upgrade, but honestly he is a whole new fish in the 29! He rarely flared except if my hands were in his water, now he flares at me almost every time I watch him!

His attitude is feisty and he has convinced me to abandon my plans to add a school of neon tetras. I think he has an ideal environment, stimulating but not stressful.

PS: sisters pull off amazing fish stunts, mine had a carnival goldfish in a 1.5 gallon fishbowl for 14 years. He filled half of the bowl's volume!

Back
Top Bottom