Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2005, 07:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
Bettas using fake plants like lawn chairs

Every now and then I look into my tank and my betta fish are digging themselves in plants and then just resting on one like it's a louge chair or something. Often the male does it and the female squeezes in next to him. Anyone elses bettas do this?

Old 08-11-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, bettas love to lounge. My females are always squeezing into crevaces. One of their favorites is up in some bio-balls I have floating in their tank.

RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

My male will also lounge. He likes to lay on the java fern leaves.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
Mine just rest in the curled up plastic leaves and stuff but then my molly fry think that my male's tail is something to munch on so they bite the tips of his tail >_< (he's cellophane..apparently his tail looks like a worm or somethin) or if any of the other fish bump into it they swim away. It's funny to watch Sasha trying to show herself off to him when he's just kinda sittin there ignoring her lol but they lay together on occasion. It's cute ^^
Old 08-11-2005, 10:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm amazed that your male and female get along when they're not mating. Does she look like a betta?

Kim
Old 08-11-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

My bettas have always rested on leaves. But I would try and replace your plastic plants with the silk like plants. They are easier on the bettas fins. Hard plastic can often lead to tears int he fins with the sharp edges. Silk plants are a little more realistic as well.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, she does. My other male, Stinger, will rip her apart but Phantom doesn't for some reason. Infact Stinger did pull off most her fins and then I caught him doing it so I removed him from the tank and that's when I got Phantom as a new mate, they flirt all the time and flare at each other now and then but they get along great. When he's sick then she nudges under him to swim with her. It's so adorable ^^ She's a really pretty blue color mixed with teal and a bit of purple. I've actually had the males together for a few hours while I was busy cleaning and rearranging things in the different mini tanks around my room and they didn't fight either. Phantom's so gentle and docile for the most part. He flares at my gouramis to tell them to back off but that's it.

>_< I'll try but I haven't had any problems thus far with them and I have about 6 plants in there, so that's a lotta replacin @___@ They like to hide in the cups too and just sit on the rocks every now and then.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

my guy likes to WEDGE himself UNDER large rocks. It scared me the first few times, especially once when he looked stuck, but he always gets out ok. So, I just keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't really get stuck.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

That does sound freaky lol Sasha always looks like she's gonna get stuck in the plants >_<
Old 08-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Hrafnkel Send a message via MSN to Hrafnkel Send a message via Yahoo to Hrafnkel
Oh, good. I thought my betta was the only one that did that.
29gal: 1 Green Severum, 1 Convict, 3 Bronze Cories
55gal: 5 Bloodfin Tetras, 6 Black Skirt Tetras, 1 Blood Parrot, 1 African Brown Knife, 1 Striped Raphael, 1 Ropefish, 2 Clown Loaches, 1 Yoyo Loach, 1 Angelfish
Hrafnkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Hrafnkel Send a message via MSN to Hrafnkel Send a message via Yahoo to Hrafnkel
Oh, good. I thought my betta was the only one that did that.
55gal: 5 Bloodfin Tetras, 6 Black Skirt Tetras, 1 Blood Parrot, 1 African Brown Knife, 1 Striped Raphael, 1 Ropefish, 2 Clown Loaches, 1 Yoyo Loach, 1 Angelfish
Old 08-11-2005, 04:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Does which one? X3
Old 08-11-2005, 04:16 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Reclines on the plants all the time. :P He's lazy. And sorry about the double post. >.> Computer screwed up.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puriti
I've actually had the males together for a few hours while I was busy cleaning and rearranging things in the different mini tanks around my room and they didn't fight either.
I wonder if that is because they weren't in their own territories, but maybe they would fight if left together long enough?
Old 08-11-2005, 05:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
Do you have them in a very large tank or something? I've heard if they have a lot of room they sometimes leave each other alone.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:25 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

The females in my tank are always really active and chasing each other. I have one female that love to lurk, she is a juvie, though.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have them in my 10 gallon tank and I just left them for about 8 hours like that since stinger wasn't killing sasha. But then I kept getting people telling me one would be dead by morning so I separated them again, plus Stinger likes to eat Sasha alive >_< They're really great fish though. I love all 3 of them. They have great personalities and get along with all my fish ^^

I used to have a cambodian female and she layed eggs once, but she ate them ._. then she caught a fungal disease from my molly and her and my mutli colored male died, plus the molly. I hope Sasha lays eggs, her stomach always looks fat >_< It's fun to watch her prowl the bottom for scraps of fish food.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:34 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
I wish I could keep a couple bettas together, it'd be interesting to watch the interaction...Too bad my boy is a bit of a bruiser. He's the tank boss as it is, so I think he'd be a little aggressive.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

My female mollies run my tank.... if they dont like a new inhabitant they start swarming them. >_< My bettas get along with them though,unless the mollies intrude on personal space, then they get a good nip.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:59 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One thing I've wondered, is can bettas be kept together (two males) in a large tank? If so, how large? Just curious.

Tags
betta, bettas, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com