Bettasafe = Aquasafe plus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Veoris

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, new guy here. I'm currently running low on my Bettasafe, which is what I usually use for my weekly water changes.. And it says to use 2 drops per liter.

On my big tank I usually change about 14-16 liters. I was thinking of getting a bigger bottle of Aquasafe plus (I know there are better conditioners out there, but in my area this is the best there is), since it's more for my money, but when I checked the back it only gave instructions to add 5ml per 10 gallons (iirc), no mention of drops or anything.

And since what I usually change is less than 10 gallons, it would be kinda hard for me to get an accurate measure of the stuff with the little bottle cap..

Anyway, my question basically is this: if I use a dropper to put in drops, just like with the Bettasafe, will it be exactly the same amount?

Or should I just put in the 5ml? Putting in a surplus of it? I imagine that would still be safe, right?

I really don't know much about those brands, but I use Prime as water conditioner and the instructions say to use 5ml per 50 gallons. I have a 5.5 gallon betta tank...so I basically have to dose of 1/10th of the cap lol. I really just eyeball it and I haven't had any problems.

If you think Prime is concentrated, try Safe (also from Seachem). It's powder form of Prime. Regardless of shipping costs, I doubt Safe would be cost prohibitive since a single jar of it (250g) treats 50,000 gallons of water.

I use a standard kitchen teaspoon measure (1 tsp=5ml) You can also use a medicine syringe that any pharmacy should give you for free. Those are generally measured out in mls.

? get rid of aqua safe and get a bottle of prime. Not that expensive . If u cant get it local try online. Might even get a good deal on it ☺

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Another issue to add to the "problem" is that I use two buckets to transfer the new water.. So, dividing a cap measurement equally seems really diffcult, by "eyeballing". Still, that's interesting, that it works. Maybe the manufacturers themselves add a "buffer" to the amount they tell you to use anyway.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Next time I go to the states I'll search for that Prime stuff, or the other one..

Didn't think of using syringe.. I'll look for both that and a dropper on my next trip to the pharmacy, it should work.

Back
Top Bottom